• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

O'Brien

Talltree

Brummie babby
Hi Everyone,
I am looking into my family history and have managed to do quite well.

I think I probably have reached as far back as I can on this one but just checking I am not missing anything.
My Grandad was Ronald O'brien married to Irene Sprason they had two Kids Linda and Sandra

Ronald O'brien
BIRTH 15 NOV 1926 • Duddeston, Nechells, Birmingham, Warwickshire
DEATH 9 AUG 2007 • Birmingham, Warwickshire, England

His dad was John Edgar O'brien - 1 Jan 1880 - 1959 born in Birmingham and married to Ellen Alice Bacciochi
His dad was John O'brien - 31 Aug 1824 - 1892 died in Warwickshire, born in Kilmallock, Limerick, Ireland, Married to Elizabeth Brush (Evans)
His dad was Michael O'brien married to Mary O'Shea I presume both born in Ireland

I have a feeling that is probably as far back as I can go but if anyone has anymore information going back further that would be great

Edit Elizabeth Brush (Evans) is BUSH not brush

Last edited:
Have you seen the census returns? 1911 shows John and Ellen with their children, although Ellen gave birth to 5 only 2 survived. John works for what looks like Pickfords, moving furniture.

John and Ellen are also on the 1939 register, however his date of birth is 1883 not 1880, John junior( born 31/03/03) and William (born 28/12/10) plus two others (officially closed) are also on the register. John senior is still working in transport as Furniture Removals.

Thank you, I have looked through them, I think I must a couple of details though as some of it is new to me. Just going to check the birth dates to, I realise some times they can be wrong on the census but I will see where I got 1880 from.

Edit: i found an 1881 census that's where i think I got it from

I managed to find this one with some papers:

5 JAN 1915 • Aldershot, Hampshire​

204 Francis Street, Birmingham, Warwickshire Army Ordnance Corps, Regimental No. 41055 Army Service Corps, Regimental No. 041855 Rank Driver Discharged 1 May 1919

John was registered as John O'Brian (with an a) Mar qtr 1881 Aston, matching your original post.

Mmn is listed as Bush (no r).

War record looks right - so lucky to find a WW1 service record I though that I had better mention it.

Yes birth reg 1881 and he is on the 1881 census.

War record looks right - so lucky to find a WW1 service record I though that I had better mention it.

Yes birth reg 1881 and he is on the 1881 census.
I thought that too, I have done quite a bit of my family tree now, but just trying to tidy up the loose ends

John was registered as John O'Brian (with an a) Mar qtr 1881 Aston, matching your original post.

Mmn is listed as Bush (no r).
no R you are correct that is a typo on my part, I think with the O'Brien, they do swap it around sometimes with an a, I also have found some Breens that may be O'briens but not sure.

Minor spelling variations are nothing to worry about, illiteracy and accents can account for most of them. Some of the stranger variations can be entertaining if frustrating.

I think you're probably right about going further back.

Back