• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nuns In Kensington Road, Selly Park

Great photo, I grew up in the area but never seen a gathering like that outside the convent. Looking at the road you would think you were in the countryside. Any idea of the year (approx)

Great photo, I grew up in the area but never seen a gathering like that outside the convent. Looking at the road you would think you were in the countryside. Any idea of the year (approx)

I don't know if this is the same card that is currently for sale on Ebay, but that one is dated February 1917.

It may be off track, but in January 1902 there was the laying of a foundation stone of a new Roman Catholic Church at Selly Park called St. Edwards. Situated at the corner piece bounding Elmdon Road and Bournbrook Road.

It may be off track, but in January 1902 there was the laying of a foundation stone of a new Roman Catholic Church at Selly Park called St. Edwards. Situated at the corner piece bounding Elmdon Road and Bournbrook Road.

it does sort of look as though it could be the laying of a stone pedro

lyn

Given the postage date of 1917 on the postcard, could it be possible that this group of nuns were returning to the convent after completing a day shift nursing war wounded at Selly Oak hospital?

I suggest they were from St. Pauls Convent in Selly Park Road - adjacent to Kensington Road. From the link it will be seen that this is and was considered as a 'mother house' of the Order. The nuns with white headdresses, I believe, are novices, the professed nuns being in all black. There is a few things unexplained in the photo but it does portray an era where an open order (i.e not confined to their convent) of sisters who dress quite differently today.

https://www.sistersofstpaulsellypark.org/who-we-are/selly-park/

Back