• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nuisance Cyclists

No mention of the horse's legs , only his own and the cart

Like cars today, horses then were replaceable. Unlike in our caring society, horses although living were considered just as motive power but unlike an engine, if anything broke it often wasn't repairable. In this 1900 New York picture, boys play near a dead horse yet take no notice: it was the way things were.

Dead horse.jpg

Like cars today, horses then were replaceable. Unlike in our caring society, horses although living were considered just as motive power but unlike an engine, if anything broke it often wasn't repairable. In this 1900 New York picture, boys play near a dead horse yet take no notice: it was the way things were.

View attachment 144076
:joy::joy::joy::joy:

They're waiting for the knacker man to come and collect it.

I saw a Co-op horse lying like that in Sidcup road and the milk float with broken shafts where it had fallen, they recovered it with a flatbed truck, just tied a rope around its shoulders and dragged it on with a winch.

View attachment 144076
It is the advertisement for condensed milk that would give me nightmares. Carnation with peaches ... the horror!!

I was brought up on tinned fruit served with Carnation for Sunday tea. Always served with bread and real butter. :yum
Generally Sunday, for many, was a day to sleep in later than usual. Garden, maintenance or pub - whatever was your choice (or permitted ;) ) - then a Sunday lunch (dinner for some) again at a later time than usual. Some some folk it was as late as 3pm. This. naturally, meant a light meal for supper (tea time) which generally consisted on tinned salmon or meat, often with cucumber (soaked in vinegar) and maybe beetroot. Lettuce was another item but usually seasonal. This would be followed by canned fruit with cream or tinned milk, or maybe jelly and ice cream. If the lady of the house had baked then cake was another additional item.

Generally Sunday, for many, was a day to sleep in later than usual. Garden, maintenance or pub - whatever was your choice (or permitted ;) ) - then a Sunday lunch (dinner for some) again at a later time than usual. Some some folk it was as late as 3pm. This. naturally, meant a light meal for supper (tea time) which generally consisted on tinned salmon or meat, often with cucumber (soaked in vinegar) and maybe beetroot. Lettuce was another item but usually seasonal. This would be followed by canned fruit with cream or tinned milk, or maybe jelly and ice cream. If the lady of the house had baked then cake was another additional item.

3.00pm Lunch as chucking out time was 10 past 2. Now many go to the Pub for their Sunday Lunch!

Whenever I have crashed my main concern has been for my machine!
I pranged a few years ago in Colorado USA I broke my shoulder blade, hit a bloody HORSE!! on the trail a woman riding along on er orse, she rode across in front of me NO BLOODY SIGNALS!! She said "You ok?" I said "No I hurt like hell" she rode off!! But when the ambulance came, I was sure to have me Claud Butler boik along with me. It was OK, bars a bit bent but me not so good but all Ok now

When I took my 3 girls to their NANS on a Sunday afternoon always and I mean always there was always Pineapple Chunks with Evaporated Milk.And of cause Salmon,and Cucumber and Onion in Vinegar

I still eat peaches and evaporated milk, Tesco do a good own label tin of peaches for around 38p (varies up and down a penny or two) and their own label evap milk for 50p.

I'd put photos up but I ate the last of them. :)

Back