• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

November 2008 edition Remembrance theme, Terry Carter article on memorials

W

Wendy

This months Brummagem has a remembrance theme and has some wondeful stories pictures and information. Our own Terry Carter has a piece on Street Memorials.

Terry composed an article about Lozells Picture House, a part of that flew out and damaged to the point of it needing to close Lozells Congregational Church. The church is of high interest to me as it was our family church.

I've got some photos of the church damage some time after the bombing, looks like when it was being demolished but none at the time.

Records from the church were lost in the bombing and records early and later on from that when they combined with another church that are normally handed over were lost. The library is pointing the finger of blame at the church, whilst the church that Lozells combined with point the finger of blame at the library. The result being all I can research is monthly newsletters, quite a few of those are missing, for single line references to births marriages and deaths.

Thus if you kind folks have photos at time of bombing or any information at all on Lozells Congregational Church other than what is in the Library archives could you post or let us know please.

Kind Regards

Ray

Ray,
That is just awful for you. Some of my family were Congregationalists. My great grandfather who had a bakery in Lozells attended the church on Soho Hill. I have no idea why.
A few years ago we went to visit a Baptist Chapel in a Leicestershire Village the chapel had just been refurbished and we were invited to the reverends house. To our astonishment he showed us into his living room where there were many old books containing, Sunday school records, baptism records and others we didn't have time to look at. I photographed what I needed and we set off home. My husband said these items should not be kept in a house what if there was a fire or flood. I think the problem was the non conformists liked to hold on to their records. At least the C of E had Bishops Transcripts so there was at least a copy. I do hope someone here can help you.

Back