• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Notable Brummies

I have been pleasantly surprised to learn from Dennis Shaw (shawcross), that England's current Test Match hero, Moeen Ali, is a Sparkhill lad, from Showell Green Lane. I am told that his father wanted him to play for Pakistan, but Moeen preferred England. Good for him. Why
does he also play for Worcestershire, and not Warwickshire? Eddie.
He did well before he played for worcester

I'm not sure how many Olympic gold medallist have been produced in Birmingham over the years, but my
G Grandfathers brother is certainly one of them.

Victor Johnson born: Aston Manor 10/05/1883

Olympic champion
World Champion
Holder of three world records

Johnson-94650.jpg

An extract from his Wikipedia page:

Victor Louis Johnson, Vic Johnson, (10 May 1883 – 23 June 1951)[1][2] was a British track cycling racer who, in 1908, won a gold medal at the 1908 Summer Olympics;[3] became 'World Amateur Sprint Champion' and the 'British National Quarter-mile Champion'.[4][5]

In September 1909 he set three world records at Herne Hill Velodrome, London, for quarter-mile, three-quarter mile and one mile. His quarter-mile time (28 seconds) stood as the world record for 21 years and as the British amateur record for 'at least 39 years'.[4]

His lifetime achievements were celebrated in 1948 when Cycling Weekly awarded him his own page in the Golden Book of Cycling, which is now held in 'The Pedal Club' archive.[4]

Dr. Mary Darby Sturge.

Back