• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Not what they used to be......

Yes I did! But it was about adulteration of food etc products in the Victorian/Edwardian period! Truly awful what manufacturers got away with.

I though it it was clear from my original posts that I was taking about RECENT changes arising from takeovers by MULTI-NATIONALS of traditional products.

As a separate issue [perhaps I should start a new thread?] I am concerned & saddened at how sarcastic/dismissive etc so many people are of Heath & Safety requirements often encouraged by the media & sadly sometimes on our site. Too many people too ready to criticize H & S requirements without any relevant knowledge. I speak from 40 yrs experience managing BCC buildings with a responsibility for H & S within them. Contrary to popular opinion BCC took H&S very seriously at least up to when I retired 14 yrs ago.
Super dad, I agree with your sentiments, however it is not just the multinationals as you suggested. Many smaller companies almost completely ignore HSE, health safety and environmental out of convenience. Also hindsight is 20/20. An example might be decaffeinated coffee, when it was first developed they used trichlorethene to draw off the caffeine. Everyone was pleased with the decaf! I was working as a young engineer in what was the biggest coffee plant in the world at the time making 3,000,000 per day. We sold the caffeine to Coca Cola until they found out about the trichlor. They stopped immediately but small beverage companies in South America kept on buying!
When products are moved from country to country the receipt items are almost never exactly the same due to country regulations and availability. Usually products are moved to optimize production, costs and technical support.
BTW, they now use water to draw of caffeine from team and coffe!

I'm dubious about the £100 for the bottle. I think I have one/some packed away from my tip-hunting days. Will have to have a search in my garage

I'm dubious about the £100 for the bottle. I think I have one/some packed away from my tip-hunting days. Will have to have a search in my garage
Mmmmm, so you were one of those middle of the night bottle hunters digging holes everywhere. I must admit i did try digging for bottles but all i ever found was broken glass ! Lad i worked with used to find lovely painted jar lids but he would never tell me where he was digging.

IMG_3332.JPG
Note "the new recipe" ie less tasty. This is right up to date in this week's shopping.
A previous for me noteworthy change was "SevenUp" some years ago. I have "always" been prone to migraines and old SevenUp gave quick relief, almost a miracle cure then they changed the recipe and the cure was no more. Seems they took the caffeine out.

View attachment 149974
Note "the new recipe" ie less tasty. This is right up to date in this week's shopping.
A previous for me noteworthy change was "SevenUp" some years ago. I have "always" been prone to migraines and old SevenUp gave quick relief, almost a miracle cure then they changed the recipe and the cure was no more. Seems they took the caffeine out.
Jim, SevenUp is one of those brands that is owned by different people in different countries. At one point for example part of it was owned by Cadbury Schweppes! Regarding your migraines (I am also prone to them and bad headaches), SevenUp used to contain caffeine In some regions, which is a drug used for migraine treatment. That might explain some of why it made you feel better!

Jim, SevenUp is one of those brands that is owned by different people in different countries. At one point for example part of it was owned by Cadbury Schweppes! Regarding your migraines (I am also prone to them and bad headaches), SevenUp used to contain caffeine In some regions, which is a drug used for migraine treatment. That might explain some of why it made you feel better!
it might seam a wierd drink, but i liked SevenUp and Mackeson Stout Beer mixed. :Dno headaches in the morning prob all that caffine:grinning:

Back