• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Not A poem

What a wonderfully well written piece of nostalgia..
Thank you.

:angel: Loved that film it was sssoooooo romantic and the song too O0 ooooooo :smitten:
Another of my favorite Frankie Laine songs was on
"Hell Bent For Leather":

All day I faced the barren waste
Without the taste of water
Cool water
Old Dan and I with throats burned dry
And souls that cry for water
Cool, clear water

Chorus
Keep a-movin, Dan, dontcha listen to him, Dan
He's a devil, not a man
He spreads the burning sand with water
Dan, can ya see that big, green tree?
Where the water's runnin' free
And it's waitin' there for me and you?
Water, water Cool, clear, water

The nights are cool and I’m a fool
Each star’s a pool of water
Cool water
But with the dawn I’ll wake and yawn
And carry on
To water
Cool, clear water

Chorus

The shadows sway and seem to say
Tonight we pray for water
Cool water
And way up there He’ll hear our prayer
And show us where
There’s water
Cool, clear water

Chorus

Dan’s feet are sore
He’s yearning for
Just one thing more than water
Like me, I guess he’d like to rest
Where there’s no quest
For water
Cool, clear water

Chorus

Like Rupert hope I've got all the words in the right order!!!

Rupert, thanks for the memories. O0 As Gary would say, "Yup",
Cowboy.gif
great film! It's one of my favourites too. When my kids were little we used to have a Saturday morning sing song in bed. We'd go through all the old western songs; Mule Train, Four Legged Friend, Old Faithful, Cigareets & Whusky, Rawhide, Wagon Train, but High Noon and the one Chris mentions were our favourites.

Interesting that you should raise this film at this time of year as it used to be part of the Christmas tradition to watch it on TV. I'll have to watch out for it this year.

Just a BTW, I think although Frankie Laine sang the film track, Tex Ritter had the hit with it.

Made in 1952, here are a few of the cast:

Gary Cooper .... ....Marshal Will Kane
Thomas Mitchell .... Mayor Jonas Henderson
Lloyd Bridges ........ Deputy Marshal Harvey Pell
Grace Kelly .... ......Amy Fowler Kane
Lee Van Cleef .... ...Jack Colby

Jerry, sorry I had a memory failure with your name...well its not long enough ago. I have corrected it.
Regards.

Thanks for writing that super piece Rupert....I had a look on the site below because I couldn't remember the name of the part Mexican actress who played Helen. Her name was Katy Jurado and I believe she died several years ago. I saw that film at The Palace cinema in Erdington. I always watch it when it comes on and I know about it.

Oisin, I liked the Saturday morning singsong idea. There were quite a few good cowboy songs back then. It must have been great fun.

I too enjoyed High Noon, and I was a great fan of Frankie Laine. I remember when I was still at school going to see him in the flim On the Sunny Side of the Street. A crowd of us went in the early afternoon and watched it at least twice if not three times. It was a wonder we weren't thrown out.

Another great western with a memorable song was The Man from Laramie. (not the Jimmy Young version).

Great movie memories - I loved High Noon too. I also loved all the "cowboy and itchibum" movies - however incorrect they were. One comes to mind that may have been somewhere near correct "Soldier Blue".
But we've got to admit that we were raised on Hollywood lies unfortunately. What do you think? Me - I was a teenager who thought everyone drank martinis - had a perfect family (mum, dad and the kids and a maid), wore beautiful clothes, drove expensive cars - thought love and marriage went together with a horse and carriage - that type of ***T

You met the wrong type.........I still got my Stetson, spurs an gun and lived happily ever after.........and not quite rode off into the sunset yet
but I might sail off into the moonlight down the cut

hi.walking through this lot today,reminded me of rawhide,1500 head of em,so i rounded em up and headed em out.all the films i have seen gary cooper in,i never saw him as a young man.pics are from my phone,and the sun was very bright, pete

Back