• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Norton's of Key Hill

Family still there late 1950s, I can recall my Mother talking about Mr Christopher. Maybe they sold put when it moved to Perry Barr.
Hi so my Grandfather John Norton owned the business until it ceased at some point in the mid 70s. He died in 1976. Likely to be as a result of the business having to move due to the new road and then not being as successful in Perry Barr. It certainly put a lot of stress on the family. Hope that helps. Its really great to see everyone’s pictures. Ive seen the site as it is today but all the pictures help me to imagine how it was. My mum can remember the pipe system for payment. Steve.

Hi so my Grandfather John Norton owned the business until it ceased at some point in the mid 70s. He died in 1976. Likely to be as a result of the business having to move due to the new road and then not being as successful in Perry Barr. It certainly put a lot of stress on the family. Hope that helps. Its really great to see everyone’s pictures. Ive seen the site as it is today but all the pictures help me to imagine how it was. My mum can remember the pipe system for payment. Steve.

Hello, I’ve only just discovered these old posts about Norton & Sons Ltd and it’s fascinating seeing some of the old pictures of the shop before it moved to Perry Barr. There are also several fascinating posts on this group from Wendy so I guess we must all be related in some way? AJ Norton who I believe founded the business in the 1800’s was my paternal great, great grandfather! I’ve just discovered an old painting of him (painted by my grandfather) which I thought might be of interest?
53185FEA-10BB-4FCC-9662-E1AC7EE0DA34.jpeg5685624E-C542-4F69-9FE1-4628C3616ED8.jpeg5685624E-C542-4F69-9FE1-4628C3616ED8.jpeg

wow thats a lovely painting thank you for sharing it with us....nortons is remembered by quite a few of our members..so pleased you liked the photos of the key hill shop...

lyn

wow thats a lovely painting thank you for sharing it with us....nortons is remembered by quite a few of our members..so pleased you liked the photos of the key hill shop...

lyn
Thank you, I’m glad I discovered your wonderful forum - brings to life all the family stories!
Amanda

hope you enjoy the forum amanda there is loads to read and learn about....

lyn

Hello, I’ve only just discovered these old posts about Norton & Sons Ltd and it’s fascinating seeing some of the old pictures of the shop before it moved to Perry Barr. There are also several fascinating posts on this group from Wendy so I guess we must all be related in some way? AJ Norton who I believe founded the business in the 1800’s was my paternal great, great grandfather! I’ve just discovered an old painting of him (painted by my grandfather) which I thought might be of interest?
View attachment 149635View attachment 149636View attachment 149636
Thanks for sharing your family portrait. My Mother was a customer of Nortons for years and years. Clothes, shoes, curtain material, bed linen, occasional furniture. It all came from Nortons. When we went posh changing from a carpet square and lino to fitted carpet in the late 1960s it came from your furniture store across the road. I remember the pink payment cards too, and my Mother religiously repaying every week.

I think this is a very enterprising piece of Christmas advertising. I never visited the shop, but would have if I’d been old enough when this was in newspapers. The personal touch by John and Christopher Norton and the various department buyer’s recommendations gives a good impression of a close team of employees.

Think I would have liked the doll’s pram with ‘mohair hood and apron” and the toy TV set. Right fancy !

Not sure I know what ‘By-Way Value’ is. Viv.

2E53B9D8-1A9E-4D74-A81A-08F7BECBD80C.jpeg
2F0A5C48-48ED-4AAD-88A2-953214DCE635.jpeg
A54A0A0C-71C6-4C30-80ED-020F5D486DA2.jpeg

Back