• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Norton's of Key Hill

you know viv i have never noticed that
yes it does say sammy it was my dads dog and more than likely one of my younger sister wrote it
as the photo was taken in my moms back yard
josie

here is the monkey was also brought from nortons
dont think any writing at the back of this one viv just a load of rubble lol

Attachments

• 1537909_714109918612811_741263157_o.jpg
    1537909_714109918612811_741263157_o.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 19
Hi Josie. Had someone chalked something on the windowsill? Maybe " My name is ..... "? Viv.

Hello Everyone
My Aunt Doris worked in this shops shoe department from the war until the 1960s. Her name is Doris Trueman and after he married she became Doris Jackson. She really enjoyed her job and never moaned about anything.
Best wishes...Garden Gerald.

thanks gerald...i am sure that folk seemed happier in their work place back in the day...more friendly i think...

lyn

Hi. My grandfather used to own Nortons the department store on Key Hill in Hockley. I wondered if anyone had any old pictures of it they would be happy to share? Many thanks

if you go back to that nortons thread tailsjt i have reposted one of the missing photos..this forum was hacked a few years back we lost all of our images...i am also moving this thread to the appropriate section of the forum and later on will merge the two threads

lyn

thats a nice clear photo phil...

happy to help tailsjt and welcome to the forum

lyn

Is it possible to establish when Wendys relatives gave up the business? As Mike traced the Nortons back to 1855 in Key Hill and Wendy guessed her relative may of been there around 1915, I would have thought there was a good chance the business had changed hands by the time that you can all remember shopping there and when it moved to perry barr.
Most businesses were/are sold with the goodwill of the business and so the name may have stayed the same even though it wasn't a Norton running it.
Polly :).
Family still there late 1950s, I can recall my Mother talking about Mr Christopher. Maybe they sold put when it moved to Perry Barr.

Back