• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Norton's of Key Hill

I love these photo's of Arthur and Emma they are for the Mayors Fancy Dress Ball, I don't have a year as yet. The costumes are lovely but I suppose when you own a drapers the sky's the limit....lol

Wendy your family photos just keep getting better. How lovely to have pictures of them in fancy dress. Thier costumes are fabulous - but as you say if your family own a drapers shop and have plenty of money they would be. I wonder if there was a competition and if they won? Also it would be great to find out the year :)
Thanks for sharing the photos with us - I can't wait for the next ones!:)

Thanks Polly I only have the photo's through the generosity of my family. I can't believe how many I have now though!

A lovely advert for Norton's sent to me from Colin Giles he is such a lovely man. Birmingham Mail December 8th 1919
Nortons_Key_Hill_Bham_mail_8_Dec_1919.jpg
Nortons_catalogue.jpg

That's such an atmospheric ad Wendy. Gives a real sense of the hustle and bustle of Christmas shoppers (and some nice added historical info about the layout of the shop). Love the quote about Mr. Pickwick's attempt to dance - interesting that in 1919 Dickens was being used to promote the typical, old english festive spirit. Doubtless that worked for Norton's as the shop looks very prosperous with several units occupied along the road. And the windows are bulging with goods. Mr Norton must have had a very astute sense of business. Viv

Hello Viv yes I agree I have several adverts and a copied catolouge which I have found fascinating. I had no idea I had a connection to the shop. It is interesting in these adverts the shop is A.J.Norton my great grandfather's sister Emma Yates married Arthur James Norton who seemed to be the driving force. The family were quite large and Arthur's father died at the premises which is where he lived. Some family members I have found were accountants, secretaries, assistant in drapers etc so I assume it was a real family business. Here is another advert from the B'ham Mail 1920.

s_Bham_mail_12_March_1920.jpg

I think these adverts tell us a lot about the store's success. Obviously Mr Norton (or should I say Arthur, as he's family Wendy!) knew his market and the last advert seems to be appealing to customers much further afield. The helpful map makes sure potential customers are in no doubt as to how to reach his shop. I wondered if he thought he could persuade city shoppers to take the trip out to his shop? Despite being handy with a sewing needle, I had to look up a couple of the words. For those, like me, who are a bit hazy on 'nainsook' and 'long cloth':

"Long-cloth is a plain cotton cloth made in long pieces which in the early 1900s was used principally for underclothing. Nainsook was a fine, soft-finished white cotton fabric with a polish on one side and lighter in weight than long-cloth".

You have some smashing evidence of your family's business Wendy. I enjoy trying to work out the background to these adverts. Viv.

What a lovely advert Wendy. I remember this shop well, as I was always mooching around on the 'Flat'. Looking at the clothes advertised, I bet the quality was a lot better than we buy today, and made in England.

I have lots of catalouge pictures that are lovely. I will scan and post some more.

I love the adverts Wendy! Such elegant clothes too, thanks for posting them. How lovely to find all this background for your Family.
I was going to ask about "nainsook", thanks to you too Viv!.
rosie.

I think one of those coats suitable for "the matronly figure" would suit me, Wendy ...sigh...
Love the advertisements and how lovely to be descended from the Nortons!

Charlie I think the coat would suit me well.. ha ha. Here are a couple more.

Norton_Hats.jpg Norton_furniture.jpg

I think they must have sold hundreds of these gate leg tables. I remember many of my family and Michael's owning these.

Many years ago I was given one of those adjustable chairs, it was very comfortable! I wish I still had it, but there wasn't room for it when we had a "three-piece suite". (Sounds posh but it was an old one, I preferred the chair!)
rosie.

this is my son on the donkey that we brought for his first christmas at norton
when we lived in icknield street we also brought him a monkey from there to
josie he is now 50

Attachments

• 1606388_714143965276073_14518674_o.jpg
    1606388_714143965276073_14518674_o.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 26
Hi Josie. Had someone chalked something on the windowsill? Maybe " My name is ..... "? Viv.

Back