• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

NORTON MOTOR CYCLES

Dont panic men! The British Army in France and Belgium 1940 Belgian girls give flowers to British troops riding a Norton motorcycle combination in Herseaux, as the BEF crosses the border into Belgium, 10 May 1940. 1580742475536.png

Last edited:
So sad to read that Norton Motorcycles have gone into administration. I worked at the old Norton in Aston from 1954-57 I worked in the Buying Department, and really enjoyed my time there. Our offices were based at the Shelley factory in Aston
Brook Street. On Friday nights they used to hold dances in the Works Canteen - one old shilling (5p) entrance fee.
Did you know Ian Paskin Sylvia?

So sad to read that Norton Motorcycles have gone into administration. I worked at the old Norton in Aston from 1954-57 I worked in the Buying Department, and really enjoyed my time there. Our offices were based at the Shelley factory in Aston
Brook Street. On Friday nights they used to hold dances in the Works Canteen - one old shilling (5p) entrance fee.
Hi Sylvia,

You must have known both my father and grandfather at that time. My father, Jim Bate was the Works Manager at Shelley's (often known as Sonny Jim) as my Grandad, also Jim Bate was the works policeman. Grandad was to be found at the entrance resplendant in his Corps of Commissionaires uniform. My father started at Shelley's in 1919 just 6 years after Bob Shelley bought Norton. My father was the last one to leave Norton and locked the doors for the last time in 1963. My Grandad started there in 1920 after returning from the Army of Occupation in Germany and was the Works Blacksmith. The only way my father could get my Grandad to stop work was to sack him when he was 87. Grandad lived a few doors down from Shelley's at 91 Aston Brook Street.

I remember the social club well and played snooker there many times.

Brian B

Brian, that is a great story about you Dad and Grandad! Unfortunately we are seeing too many stories of great businesses being sold or closed.

Welcome to the Forum! There are is so much knowledge and history here and really great folks.

Hi Sylvia,

You must have known both my father and grandfather at that time. My father, Jim Bate was the Works Manager at Shelley's (often known as Sonny Jim) as my Grandad, also Jim Bate was the works policeman. Grandad was to be found at the entrance resplendant in his Corps of Commissionaires uniform. My father started at Shelley's in 1919 just 6 years after Bob Shelley bought Norton. My father was the last one to leave Norton and locked the doors for the last time in 1963. My Grandad started there in 1920 after returning from the Army of Occupation in Germany and was the Works Blacksmith. The only way my father could get my Grandad to stop work was to sack him when he was 87. Grandad lived a few doors down from Shelley's at 91 Aston Brook Street.

Brian B

Hi Sylvia,

Brian B
Fabulous two-way story of loyalty and respect. Great story.

Not sure who should be most put out by this headline. Solihull for being classed as Bham or Bham because Norton is not really back...

Despite that, good news.
I think that is great news for Norton, the community and new jobs! An Indian company owns Royal Enfield, not sure if it is a part of the same group.

”To some extent the zenith of Norton's featherbed-framed Dominator vertical-twin series, the 650SS was the last design to emerge from the traditional Bracebridge Street factory.”

Classic British motorcycles of over 500cc from the National Motorcycle Museum,Currie, Bob (1988)

2DE0349C-C36A-4042-9CCC-131C8623CF7F.jpeg

Back