• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Norton Anti virus software renewal

• Thread starter Neville Philpott
  • Start date
I had nothing against Norton apart from it had to be paid for and had an old fashioned user interface but I'm now using Windows Defender.
I just tried saving a text file with the EICAR test string in it and WD would not even let me save it with an immediate notification and deletion. However the best protection is good security habits by us computer users.

Sorry, but could you explain what that means? Is it a test to see if rogue viruses can get through?

Have a look on the site below, highlight and copy and paste the text string into a text editor such has Notepad and try and save the file ... your AV should stop it. Don't paste it int0 a Wordprocessor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EICAR_test_file
An image below of the Notepad file I tried to save ... Windows Defender would not let me ...
Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Just had a shock email from Norton saying that my subscription has been automatically renewed at £84.99. My own fault for not cancelling automatic renewal. I have been onto Norton website & have requested a full refund which has been granted. I must remember to cancel automatic renewal when i install my new Norton which cost £19.99 !!

Just had a shock email from Norton saying that my subscription has been automatically renewed at £84.99. My own fault for not cancelling automatic renewal. I have been onto Norton website & have requested a full refund which has been granted. I must remember to cancel automatic renewal when i install my new Norton which cost £19.99 !!
smudger
i give them up as a bad job.when i try'd to install a copy i bought from pc world. they phoned me and said you have a 2 isp address someone is hacking you. we can block them for £125. i reloaded windows and never re loaded norton, since then my pc is not so slow,and they dont block everything they think is iffy.:mad:

I have never had a problem with them and get an email about 3 weeks before renewal to remind me. I think I am on my 3rd or 4th version.

Some years ago I had Norton and renewed it once and noticed the next year would have auto renewal. It was not straightforward setting it to ensure it did not auto renew the following year. I dumped it and now happily use Windows Defender plus a weekly scan from the free Malwarebytes and most important not clicking links in emails etc.

There are a number of companies that I would subscribe to if they didn't have the auto renew requirement in their offering, Ancestry is the most recent that I've backed away from.

Back