• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Norton Anti virus software renewal

• Thread starter Neville Philpott
  • Start date
N

Neville Philpott

Hello,

It is time for my annual renewal for Anti virus software and i am looking to use something other than Norton, what do others on the forum recommend i could
use and download as a free but robust alternative?

many thanks...

Microsoft Security Essentials keeps me ok but I do run an occasional scan using Malwarebytes, both free.
I sometimes wonder who pays the people that write the viruses, without them the anti virus companies wouldnt exist. Makes you think.

For many years I used Avira - no issues with it. But I have Bitdefender FREE on both my desktop and laptop pcs now. It got some of the highest reports last year, is simple to use - no fiddling around checking boxes, updates itself and does automatic scans.

I recommend it to folks I know who are not too advanced a user as it is so simple - but very effective.

Just make sure you choose the FREE version. Of course there are more advanced, usually for business or sensitive reasons, paid versions. A current e-mail address is all that is needed to activate the programme.

I switched on this laptop ten minutes ago and whilst I have been typing this post Bitdefender has automatically updated itself - without causing any slow down as many a/v programmes do.

Microsoft Security Essentials keeps me ok but I do run an occasional scan using Malwarebytes, both free.
I sometimes wonder who pays the people that write the viruses, without them the anti virus companies wouldn't exist. Makes you think.
Tony the advice from Microsoft themselves is to no longer depend upon Microsoft Security Essentials as they are not updating any more. I think your hint at some conspiracy is way off the mark by the way. Some viruses are written simply to cause upset (a bit like the vandals that slash tyres) others to make money for the writers or criminals that pay them.

Hello,

It is time for my annual renewal for Anti virus software and i am looking to use something other than Norton, what do others on the forum recommend i could
use and download as a free but robust alternative?

many thanks...
We use Avast and have used AVG in the past both good free programs.

Best of luck in removing all traces of Norton's you may need a removal tool.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials in my Windows computers and they are updating it monthly except for XP computers. I use Malwarebytes for anti spyware and the latest download gives 30 days free of the full real time version before it reverts to the weekly scan version. The companies who sell anti virus software don't like MSE for obvious reasons.

Did you know that if you bank with Barclays and you use internet banking that they will give you a free copy of Kapersky Internet Security renewable every year. I have used it ever since this offer came out and have never yet found it wanting. You are allowed to use it on up to three different machines and it's available for all your different devices.

Tony the advice from Microsoft themselves is to no longer depend upon Microsoft Security Essentials as they are not updating any more.

As far as I know they are still updating it, and in fact they have rolled the function into Windows Defender which is installed by default on Windows 8.

I tend to use download.com for freeware. This is their current list of best free anti-virus products https://download.cnet.com/1772-20_4-0.html?query=internet+security&sort=editorRating~desc%2CdownloadCountLastWeek~desc&platform=Windows%2CMac%2CiOS%2CAndroid%2CWebware%2CMobile&searchtype=downloads&licenseType=Free

I use Avast myself but that is because I don't have an internet connection at home (you can download updates as a file on a memory stick). A year or so back I knew someone who used Comodo and they seem to be the only people offering a full security suite (includes firewall and a bunch of extras) for free. If you use the list at download, it's worth reading the reviews sometimes although they do seem to have a lot of bad ones no matter how good the product is. The trick is to look at what specifically they say is wrong and decide whether you can live with it. The problem they usually give for the big paid (McAfee/Norton) suites is that they slow your computer down drastically. If you do change software, remember to remove the old stuff as it can interrupt the working of the new.

Who is actually paying for these so called 'free' antiviruses such as AVG. I have McFee (no complaints) which I do not pay for but it is part of my package with BT so I presume they pay. I may be a cynic but in my experience you don't get nothing for nothing, there as to be a catch. Eric

Eric I have used Free anti virus for many years after Macafee 'cheated' me out of 3 months of paid for Anti Virus. There is no catch although they would prefer you used the paid for version but you don't have to.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Who is actually paying for these so called 'free' antiviruses such as AVG. I have McFee (no complaints) which I do not pay for but it is part of my package with BT so I presume they pay. I may be a cynic but in my experience you don't get nothing for nothing, there as to be a catch. Eric
Free anti-virus programs generally come from companies that sell more complex internet filtering and security systems to business and/or professional users. Having a free version with less functions helps them in that it gives them a large installed base (their program is on lots of different computers) which are more likely to find more viruses and send them reports of new problems that they wouldn't see under normal circumstances.
The catch is that you're supplying them with information about viruses and other such problems simply by using their software. You'd get the same from the paid-for versions but they just charge differently. For instance, Norton charge for one copy of the program and offer a discount if you buy more copies. Someone else will offer the Anti-virus free to everyone and a larger suite of programs to businesses for a large sum. If they just sold the business version they'd have their program on much less computers and they'd be more likely to miss viruses or other security issues.

Thanks for all the suggestions, i thought it would just be a case of downloading the new 'jobby' and disabling Norton.

Seems it may not be that straightforward after all.

My last PC came with either 3 or 6 months free Norton antivirus, when the free time expired they wanted £49 for the next 12 months, so I changed my BT package from one (no free antivirus) to 2 (free antivirus), funnily enough it was Norton, although BT dropped Norton and changed to McFee a couple of years ago. Since then I have changed to BT Infinity 1 which still includes free Antivirus (McFee). Eric

Thanks for all the suggestions, i thought it would just be a case of downloading the new 'jobby' and disabling Norton.

Seems it may not be that straightforward after all.
It's not quite that straightforward but it's close. You choose the new product and download it. Remember that what you're replacing isn't just anti-virus (firewall, other system utilities) so you have to decide what else you need. Later versions of windows have a firewall included and many of the other items in the package are duplicated elsewhere. That should affect your choice.
Once you've got your new program you need to remove Norton. Either use the uninstall utility in the Norton folder on the start menu (if there is one) or go to control panel - Add or remove programs (or whatever equivalent you have on your operating system) and take it off from there. Once that's done install the new program.
Sometimes it's worth downloading more than one new program in case the first one doesn't work out but remember to remove the last one before you put a new one on.

Eric you have enlightened me as I have BT Infinity and never knew about 'free antivirus'. As my Norton had nearly expired I have downloaded the McFee one. Saved me a bit of cash. Thanks

Carolina, nice to have helped someone, had no problems since down loading McFee, about once a month I get it to do a full scan. My sister also has Infinity with McFee and she is also happy with it. I worked for BT for over 30 years and they pay my pension so must support them (lol) Eric

My paid-for anti-virus covering up to 5 computers ran out today prompting urgent emails from the AV company sayimg that I could save £40 if I renewed today. The only problem is I was only paying £29 pa for it ... :D
I'm not renewing it !

My paid-for anti-virus covering up to 5 computers ran out today prompting urgent emails from the AV company sayimg that I could save £40 if I renewed today. The only problem is I was only paying £29 pa for it ... :D
I'm not renewing it !
I paid £23 for my Norton covering 5 devices, from Currys. I paid £9 for my lifetime Malwarebytes premium, but that was a long time ago. It`s quite expensive now.

I got a similar sounding message from MacAfee a few months ago when my agreement was coming to an end, which offered a package for only one computer(compared to 3) but included a number of "extras" (can't remember exactly what they were but seemed meant for those that wanted their hands held and a bedtime story if anything went wrong or I was worried) which I did not want. However , when I phoned them up they said I was perfectly able to renew my old agreement for only slightly more than I had paid before.

McFee comes as a part of my BT package so I do not have to pay for it, used to be Norton but BT changed to McFee a few years ago. Eric

Back