• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Northwood Street Track

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
image.jpgimage.jpgSpotted this on one of my many meanderings on Streetview. It's a narrow track of some sort, reminds me of the tracks coal trucks run along underground. This is in a building along Northwood Street. Any ideas of what it was used for? Viv.

well spotted viv how unusual...i think if we can find out what the building was used for back in the day it will help determine what the tracks were used for...

lyn

https://www.birminghamweldingsupplies.co.uk/

These are the folks presently there, but I am sure housing will replace the building, if the neighbouring area is anything to go by. Welding and fabrication entails heavy work and maybe the rails were used by them or their predecessor owners.
Now awaiting the folks who have access to directories as to who originally used the place and most likely had the rails placed in situ.

Thanks David. There must have once been offices there for whatever industry it was involved in. There's an old letter box to the left of the large door. And there's a door cut into the large door too. Looks like an entrance where materials were delivered or products moved out. Viv.
image.jpg

so we need a kellys look up for no 62 to 64 northwoood st then....unless someone beats me to it i will take a look tomorrow

In the 1955 directory there is for that address there were
Airstream Metal Product Ltd Sheet Metal Workers (Reliance Works)

Hyde Bros & Timming Ltd Galvinizers and Co

so we need a kellys look up for no 62 to 64 northwoood st then....unless someone beats me to it i will take a look tomorrow

Kelly Directory 1908, 1915 and 1940, Hyde Bros. & Timings, galvanizers &c

1899, Hyde Bros, iron plate workers

Last edited:
All the mentioned companies, it would appear, were involved with metal products - some I guess were heavy. Presumably the rails allowed the movement of whatever was manufactured to be got to road transport in Northwood Street. It would be a good guess that there were more tracks within the building.
Anybody around who is curious to look in there?

Don't forget these buildings were probably build before the first fork lift trucks came into use c1915, so some sort of an easy transit system for moving heavy goods about within the factory would have been required.

Thanks all. I suppose it's not easy to judge the date of the tracks. And yes Alan, be nice to know if there are more rails inside. I'd assumed the tracks lead into someone's of courtyard behind the building, or even extend into a workshop behind the building fronting Northwood Street. But difficult to see on Streetview. Viv.

The 1896 rate books show it as Edward Joseph Timings there, owner George Hyde and building being offices, shopping (meaning workshops) and engine

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Track in Northwood Street

Thank you for the pics. I wonder what was so heavy that it had to be shifted by trolley?

I was reminded of the channels often found in industrial premises entrances which took cart wheels and thus saved wear and tear on concrete or setts. Breweries often had them. I am sure many still exist in the city.

Re: Track in Northwood Street

Many thanks Horsencart. The tracks look like they lead into another building behind the one on Northwood Street.

Viv.

Apologies for the closure of this thread, which after investigation appears to have been closed in error.

Obviously these tracks were pretty commonplace in any industry where there was heavy lifting involved as shown in this photo of the 1920's saw mill at the Metropolitan Cammell works at Washwood Heath, I would imagine that they predate the overhead crane. They certainly weren't still around in the early 60's when I worked there.

Attachments

• Washwood Heath Met Coach Works Saw Mill  1920.JPG
    Washwood Heath Met Coach Works Saw Mill 1920.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 24
Pardon my ignorance buy if Northwood St is up by Dudley Rd and runs along the canal then there were only houses on ones side???????// I am talking 1935 Perhaps I have the street names mixed up Cheers old brummie

Think you might have another place in mind Oldbrummy. This is the Northwood Street referred to in this thread. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 15
Hi old brummy
I think you will find that the one up dudley road is in fact northbrook street and not North wood street as you think
Coming from dudley road end yes you are correct there is only one side of house on that road
When walking down you pass marrow way street and at the very bottom you are or was face with wiggan and traps
Then you have to walk down wiggan street to be on ickneild port road
On the subject of North wood street and lines its as viv stated in the part of the jewelry quarter I was a local lad
And worked the electro plating company's for years around there and for a matter of fact from the church
There is an under ground tunnels where they use to be a monastery for monks to and from the church
Way back in history and there was drawing on the tunnel walls there used to be a large well known company that was across the road from the church and they used to have access to it for storage which we seen as we had to go there when we worked there on a job for a servicing company that was required for the company I believe in this day and age there is a block of private flats now facing the church or just off the central reseveration best wishes AStonian,,,,

Back