• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Northfield Workhouse

Jax D

I am new to this and trying to find my way around! I am hoping to find details of my grandmothers birth at Northfield Workhouse in 1885 and wonder if the workhouse records are accessible and from where? Her name was Catherine Roberts - her mother Alice Roberts. I believe Catherine was orphaned and lived there for several years. Any advice/help ? Thanks.

I fear records for that time would be quite sparse. This is mainly about Kings Norton workhouse but it does mention Northfield. Not sure if they amalgamated in new buildings on Raddlebarn Road.

Birmingham Library appear to hold some records for Kings Norton Workhouse/Selly Oak Hospital but even those are only from 1900.

There's a birth registration for a Katherine Roberts, no mmn Jun qtr 1885 Kings Norton which may your Catherine.

I fear records for that time would be quite sparse. This is mainly about Kings Norton workhouse but it does mention Northfield. Not sure if they amalgamated in new buildings on Raddlebarn Road.

Birmingham Library appear to hold some records for Kings Norton Workhouse/Selly Oak Hospital but even those are only from 1900.

There's a birth registration for a Katherine Roberts, no mmn Jun qtr 1885 Kings Norton which may your Catherine.
Yes that must be her. Thank you. Her birth certificate says Northfield Workhouse, Kings Norton. Her Mother was Alice Roberts who I have always been told was a single parent who died there. I will investigate!

No mmn does imply that the mother was single.

There is only one likely death for an Alice Roberts registered in Kings Norton up to 1895 and that is Sep qtr 1891. However, she appears to be a different Alice Roberts, the wife of a Henry Roberts.

Thanks again.
I've not been able to find that information, was it from Birmingham library records? I am wondering if her mother left Katherine there and returned home. I think I need to try and find Alice Roberts.
My grandmother was born with a profound Hearing loss and we were told that she was in Northfield workhouse until she went to work in service.

i have moved this thread to the correct section of the forum which is workhouses

lyn

Back