• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Northfield - Church Hill

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures is thought to date from the 1900's.

Ian.

Hi Paul, the top of the church is just visible in the tree tops directly above the silver car in the modern day picture.
It is still there, although the surroundings have changed quite considerably.
Ian

Paul
I think the google view is from a bit further away from the church than the postcard, because you can't get a view from that part of church hill on google

I dont think the new view is much out to the older picture as the building on the corner of Woodland Road is still there. The newer picture suggests that the road has been straightened out quite a lot.

The Church at top is St Lawrences and like all good churches there is a pub next door in this case the Great stone pub lol

Hello All,

I was married at St. Lawrence church in August 1950 and my mother is buried in the churchyard
so your pictures certainly brought back memories for me.
Also I remember having words with the Vicar because I wanted to put a flower vase on the grave
with the word Mom on. He said it was not allowed, I could only put the word mother on or nothing
at all. I chose nothing !!! Can't see what difference it makes to a churchyard as to what wording is
on a grave ? { looks as if I was a stupid " young " woman before I became an old one " }
Betty Hopper

View attachment 65687 betty i help run a history group called "northfield past" its on facebook anyone can join we have over 2000 members + we have over 550 pictures of northfield and surrounding areas ,and your not stupid there lots of silly rules out there,RIP to your dear mom

Back