• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Norman Wakeman

brummie nick

master brummie
Name: WAKEMAN, NORMAN
Initials: N
Nationality: United Kingdom
Born: Birmingham
Enlisted: Birmingham
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
Unit Text: "B" Bty. 66th Bde.
Date of Death: 31/03/1917
Died of Wounds
Service No: 56109
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 3 and 60.
Memorial: BASRA MEMORIAL

Normans brother was James, who died at the Somme.

Name: WAKEMAN, JAMES
Initials: J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)
Unit Text: 124th Coy.
Date of Death: 08/10/1916
Service No: 28955
Additional information: Son of Mrs. Frances Wakeman, of 10, Cooksey Rd., Small Heath, Birmingham.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 5 C and 12 C.
Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

They are both related to my wife, and we are currently researching their details.
Only 1 in 10 troops died during the 1st WW, so Mrs. Frances Wakeman was really unluck to lose two sons in such a short space of time.
ps. Have you previously posted a photo of Norman? It no longer appears available?

That picture is great! thanks for posting.
Norman and James were my wife's Grandmother's brothers.
She was married to Urban Hazelwood (or Hazlewood), who also served in the great war for the Royal Warwickshire Regiment and survived.
Norman and James were remembered at this years Rememberence parade in Solihull, probably for the first time in many years, although we never knew them it was an emotional experience.

Last edited:
Hi bren, yes I did know that the driver referred to horses, I've done some research on him, we have a letter that he sent to his sister [my wife's grandmother] just before he was killed.

Nick

hello here is a photo and info of Driver Wakeman from The Birmingham Illustrated Weely Mercury dated 28 April 1917.
Kevan

Hi Kevan, thanks for that, it all helps with the family history.
Don't wish to be cheeky, but do you know if there's a picture of his brother James on that site,? 28955 Machine Gun Corps

thanks again Nick

Hi
If it is of any help in your research both Norman and James Wakeman are remembered on the Parish memorial plaque in All Saints Church Small Heath. The church is in Herbert Road Small Heath. I should have some photos of the memorial. If you PM me with your email address I will be pleased to send them to you.

Tony

Back