• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Norman Haines

Ole Krauter

proper brummie kid
Servus everybody,

I just somehow found my way to this "page", don´t even know how to call it but allthough beeing german I am a true Brummie indeed, if you don´t mind. However, going through these lovely pages (old photos of Brum etc.), I found "Music and Recommended Listening" and that reminded me to my dear friend Norman Haines who I lost contact to, Does anybody know about his wereabouts? If so, I would certainly appreciate to hear your answer! Also, so many memories come to my mind from the old days when I was hangin out in Moseley 50 School Road, Bedford Bill, Dave Panton, Graham a tenor player, Phil. singer of Frosty Moses, Blake and Jill on a Triumph Bonneville or Tiger, Karl, so many ........... I was roadying for a band called Locomotive in 1969 an had my first curry at The Seven Stars next to Ladypool Road, and I was in tears right after the start as it was so hot that I have to ask you to excuse my language. Is Salem´s still going? I better stop now. Great pages, I´ll certainly be back! With best wishes, Ole

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember Norman Haines when he was in the Locomotive and I think he had his own band afterwards. I don't live in Birmingham now and I have no idea where he went from there!

You would probably be better to post your enquiry with the Birmingham Music Archive, they have a website and a page on Facebook.

This is a link to the Locomotive page on the website https://www.birminghammusicarchive.com/locomotive/
FB is probably better though as I'm sure many more people would see it.

Hope that helps!

Dear A.Sparks, thank you very much for your hint (do you call it so?)! I am all new in this field but hopefully will learn how to use this medium. Bye bye Ole

I've just thought of another website you might like - there is a page for both those bands if you look down the main index

great information man (or are you a Lady?) (I would like to know really), I am back in Birmingham even when sitting in the midst of Bavaria, it´s like having a curry at the Seven Stars, thank you very much indeed!!! Did you know Frosty Moses as well? And TnS? Stay well, Ole (maybe I should think about writeing down the story why I feel like being a Brummie). (my first, but still very clear impression of Birmingham is that driving through Brum in a lorry on the A 38, no motorwas at all, as I was having a wonderful lift from far north, perhaps Newcastle, down to as far as Bristol while hichhikeing in the mid 60ies, I never saw such an amount of brick in my life before, continental cities looked quite different. That must have been before demolishion started in a greater scale.

Glad you have enjoyed reading the website pages!

No, I didn't know any of the members of Frosty Moses and I can't remember if I ever saw them play live but I certainly remember the band's name.

I did see the Locomotive play a few times, they were one of Jim Simpson's Big Bear bands and they used to play at Henry's Blues night which he ran at the Crown pub in Station Street on Tuesdays, they were a great band.

...and yes, I am a lady!

how nice!!! It is a real pleasure to read your answers, thank you so much! I hope that I do not make mistakes (not in writing, I don´t mind that, but I´d like to keep to the rules). However, is there another name for A.Sparks (could it be Angel?) Sorry for theese jokes, with very best wishes, Günter

P.S. I love both Tea and Symphony records, Joe Sago is great, perhaps you give it a listen. And of course. Norman is a great singer, everyone knows! I could go on raddling for ever.....

bye bye

Servus everybody,

I just somehow found my way to this "page", don´t even know how to call it but allthough beeing german I am a true Brummie indeed, if you don´t mind. However, going through these lovely pages (old photos of Brum etc.), I found "Music and Recommended Listening" and that reminded me to my dear friend Norman Haines who I lost contact to, Does anybody know about his wereabouts? If so, I would certainly appreciate to hear your answer! Also, so many memories come to my mind from the old days when I was hangin out in Moseley 50 School Road, Bedford Bill, Dave Panton, Graham a tenor player, Phil. singer of Frosty Moses, Blake and Jill on a Triumph Bonneville or Tiger, Karl, so many ........... I was roadying for a band called Locomotive in 1969 an had my first curry at The Seven Stars next to Ladypool Road, and I was in tears right after the start as it was so hot that I have to ask you to excuse my language. Is Salem´s still going? I better stop now. Great pages, I´ll certainly be back! With best wishes, Ole
Norman sadly has died

I saw this yesterday on FB :(
Apparently he passed away suddenly on 22nd June.
RIP Norman, thanks for the music.

Back