• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Norman Edwards , Sporting Caricatures

Chambo

Hi , re above does anyone have any information on whether Norman’s work is archived anywhere ? Apart from professional teams Norman produced images of local sports people and I am trying to trace a picture of Highcroft Cricket Club, Erdington which featured my Dad . I guess it was drawn late 60’s . Thanks .

If you put the words Norman Edwards into the forum search box, some snippets of information can be found .... :)
Some info here

A little off thread, but related, in early 1960's there was another artist, C. E. Thomson who produced caricatures of local sports teams for one of the papers, I think The Birmingham Mail.

My father was a friend of Norman Edwards when they were at Somerville Road School. They would meet up at various events and featured in one of his cartoons (below). It must have been in the early fifties.
DadNE.jpg

I've also got NE's history of the Blues. When they were Small Heath Alliance their nickname seems to have been The Heathens. When NE wanted to show a non-specific Blues player he drew a caricatured black man

In 1957 when the Villa got to Wembley Iwas in the draw17 .I wrote to Norman Edwards and asked him if he could do me a large Villian + The cup poster to take to Wembley.A few days later I received a letter to collect it from The Despatch offices in Corporation St.When I got it home my brother who was good at carpentry put it on some Plywood and cut it out and painted it.On Cup Final day going on the train to London loads of people took photographs of it.Even had my photo took in Trafalgar SQuare and appeared on the front of the Evening Despatch.Still got the framed photo and Cup Final ticket.Over the next few years I collected Normans cartoons to do with the Villa.They are in a scrap book

Hi , re above does anyone have any information on whether Norman’s work is archived anywhere ? Apart from professional teams Norman produced images of local sports people and I am trying to trace a picture of Highcroft Cricket Club, Erdington which featured my Dad . I guess it was drawn late 60’s . Thanks .

Back