• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

NORMA QUIBELL...CYCLO GEAR POTTERS HILL ASTON

Graham, You say your mother was a Shorthand Typist at Cyclo Gear, do you know how many office staff worked there?
Were there many Shorthand Typists? Whereabouts in Handsworth had you & your mother lived? Did Louis Camillis ever visit your mother's house? Sorry to ask questions but it may bring out some interesting replies from other members.
Regards, RobT

Graham, You say your mother was a Shorthand Typist at Cyclo Gear, do you know how many office staff worked there?
Were there many Shorthand Typists? Whereabouts in Handsworth had you & your mother lived? Did Louis Camillis ever visit your mother's house? Sorry to ask questions but it may bring out some interesting replies from other members.
Regards, RobT
Hello, I am Louis De Camillis´s granddaughter. My son came across this forum as we are currently researching the family history, and asked me if I knew anything. My mother, Jeannette, Louis daughter might have some information.
We have a large archive of photos from the Cyclo years. I will take a look to see if there are any further photos as well.
kind wishes
Jackie

Rob. Closer examination of picture and it doesn't look like Eileen. Also, I reckon picture taken just pre WW2. I can always be proved wrong .

Hello, I am Louis De Camillis´s granddaughter. My son came across this forum as we are currently researching the family history, and asked me if I knew anything. My mother, Jeannette, Louis daughter might have some information.
We have a large archive of photos from the Cyclo years. I will take a look to see if there are any further photos as well.
kind wishes
Jackie

kind wishes
Jackie
Really great to hear from you Jackie. I have no idea how many typists / Secretary s were in the Cyclo Gear company, but there couldn't have been that many. I have almost no memory of Louis for reasons I would explain in an email if I could get your address. Mom worked there I believe immediately after WW2 and Louis became great friends with my parents, Pat and Norma, who your mother may well remember. We lived in Windermere Road, Handsworth, then latter out in Wall Heath, by Kingswinford, but the move was long after Mom left Cyclo Gear. Please send your email address !

Really great to hear from you Jackie. I have no idea how many typists / Secretary s were in the Cyclo Gear company, but there couldn't have been that many. I have almost no memory of Louis for reasons I would explain in an email if I could get your address. Mom worked there I believe immediately after WW2 and Louis became great friends with my parents, Pat and Norma, who your mother may well remember. We lived in Windermere Road, Handsworth, then latter out in Wall Heath, by Kingswinford, but the move was long after Mom left Cyclo Gear. Please send your email address !

Last edited:
hello quibell....dont know if this is any good to you..you may already have it..a photo of cyclo gear potters hill with workers outside....is that a lady kneeling down?...could it be your mom?...the date is 1951 which is within the time frame that your mom worked there i believe

lyn

View attachment 144224
A view I've not seen for years. This is Victoria Road near the junction of Whitehead Rd and was the view opposite from where I lived 1959-1967.

Some photos Family Raimond
Grand Father Albert
Grand Mother Rose
Jean (during his Army 1935)
Marthe my Mother
Ado

Attachments

• Albert Ado Marthe Rose.jpg
    Albert Ado Marthe Rose.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Albert Raimond.jpg
    Albert Raimond.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 14
  • osborne le jardin (2).jpg
    osborne le jardin (2).jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Ado Rose et Jean.jpg
    Ado Rose et Jean.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 16
Thank you
My mother Jeannette (Louis daughter, will be delighted to hear of this and see the photos. Do you live in France?
please feel free to use the email link on the site to send any further details privately.
Jackie

Growing up in Handsworth I had a good friend who introduced me to another friend Max Quibell, is there any connection? I think they moved to Solihull sometime in the mid late 50s. He would be in his late 70s or early 80s today.........

hello quibell....dont know if this is any good to you..you may already have it..a photo of cyclo gear potters hill with workers outside....is that a lady kneeling down?...could it be your mom?...the date is 1951 which is within the time frame that your mom worked there i believe

lyn

View attachment 144224
This photo appears in a Brewin book, 'Birmingham in the Fifties Vol 2.', there is a caption underneath which says
"French cycling club taking part in the Tour of Britain, Potters Hill, Aston, 1951.

So not workers from Cyclo Gear.

Back