• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nonsuch Farm

Thanks for all this info + photos. Not old enough to remember any of it but I went to Nonsuch school & lived on Woodgate Valley For many years. I didn't know any of this so it really is interesting.The school wasn't there when we moved in. We had to get a bus outside Nixon's Shop (gravel bank) to Worlds End School in Quinton. Most of the estate wasn't there then. I was only 6. 1974.

Last edited:
i love this thread, i have lived just off summerfield road since 1993 when i was 12 and my great aunt has lived on rushy piece since it was built, if it helps part of summerfield road by the bus stop at warston avenue keeps collapsing and its believed there is a well or pond under the road there.

Hi Laura,

I can tell you that there were no wells or ponds in the vicinity of the wall near Warston Avenue. The fields where Warston and Upper Close are situated were known in 1883 as Middle Ox Leasow and Far Ox Leasow.

More likely is that the wall is damaged by roots of trees or dare I say 'bad workmanship'.

Hi,I used to live in Stonehouse Grove and used to play in the fields belonging to Nonsuch Farm.M y older brother Len [now 78]was friends with one of the Thatchers.There used to be "mounds" not far from the farm that were the left over spoils from where the canal had caved in and had to be dug out.

Where does the name Nonsuch come from. Was this term used frequently then I wonder. Maybe 'without rival'. A farm without rival.

In the 1600s a modest ship called 'The Nonsuch' started the fur trade into Hudson Bay.

Hi,I used to live in Stonehouse Grove and used to play in the fields belonging to Nonsuch Farm.M y older brother Len [now 78]was friends with one of the Thatchers.There used to be "mounds" not far from the farm that were the left over spoils from where the canal had caved in and had to be dug out.

Hi Chris, My dad, Raymond John (although, usually known as John) died in 2001 and is at the far right of the middle row.
His brother Sid is the lad in the middle row looking to his left. Sid has lived down south for many years.

Where does the name Nonsuch come from. Was this term used frequently then I wonder. Maybe 'without rival'. A farm without rival.

In the 1600s a modest ship called 'The Nonsuch' started the fur trade into Hudson Bay.

Rupert, I think you might well be right; something along the lines of 'nonpareil' ... Henry VIII built a magnificent Palace called 'Nonsuch'.

Chris, I wonder what other 'little nuggets' you have in your family album ;-) We are about to change the display at the Visitor Centre, Woodgate Valley Country Park to that of the farms that were on site prior to Woodgate Valley estate and the park. Will it be OK to use this one as well?

I wonder if someone knows the name of the farm which used to stand on the rhs of the old lane which led to the "black horse" Illey from I think woodgate lane, there was a small hill with a wonderful old wooden barn on it full of owls and my dad and I would go mushrooming early in the mornings usually sundays, I went back a few years ago when dad died and found the M5 ran through it now.
regards
paul

Hi, Any pictures that I have sent are available to be used by anyone.If I can I will have a look through thse that I have in store but my father,when he was alive he took photo's of eveything,and when he died in 1991 most of his pictures and negatives were destroyed.I will try to get a picture taken off the transparency and re-submit . Chris

The first map is showing MOTT Farm (Moat Farm) which was situated facing Field Lane in Kitwell/Wood Lane. Looking at this map, the road the farm Paul is asking about would have been down the road facing James Field Coppice leading to Lower Illey. A map of 1973 shows a farm at the bottom of this road as Lowlands Farm. However, the mention of the M5 and Woodgate Lane makes me wonder if it is Lye Close Farm.

thanks everyone I remember kettles wood where in the early 50's we got our christmas trees, and I think that lyleclose farm is most proberly the one, so many lovely memories for me from a time now long lost in this mercenary, fast world, just one thing now older I think the old barn must have dated from at least the 16th C and I notice from the maps that there is an abbey listed not far away, I wonder as this barn was some way away from the actual farm whether it was in fact an old tithe barn, ? I also remember old jack who lived in the old cottages past the black horse going towards the main road which led to the "blue bird toffee factory" he came from the black country originally and made his own ginger beer, he would have been in his 80's in the early 50's and the reciept he said came from his grandfather!.
regards all
paul.

Back