• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nonsuch Farm

I wonder if someone knows the name of the farm which used to stand on the rhs of the old lane which led to the "black horse" Illey from I think woodgate lane, there was a small hill with a wonderful old wooden barn on it full of owls and my dad and I would go mushrooming early in the mornings usually sundays, I went back a few years ago when dad died and found the M5 ran through it now.
regards
paul

Hi, Any pictures that I have sent are available to be used by anyone.If I can I will have a look through thse that I have in store but my father,when he was alive he took photo's of eveything,and when he died in 1991 most of his pictures and negatives were destroyed.I will try to get a picture taken off the transparency and re-submit . Chris

The first map is showing MOTT Farm (Moat Farm) which was situated facing Field Lane in Kitwell/Wood Lane. Looking at this map, the road the farm Paul is asking about would have been down the road facing James Field Coppice leading to Lower Illey. A map of 1973 shows a farm at the bottom of this road as Lowlands Farm. However, the mention of the M5 and Woodgate Lane makes me wonder if it is Lye Close Farm.

thanks everyone I remember kettles wood where in the early 50's we got our christmas trees, and I think that lyleclose farm is most proberly the one, so many lovely memories for me from a time now long lost in this mercenary, fast world, just one thing now older I think the old barn must have dated from at least the 16th C and I notice from the maps that there is an abbey listed not far away, I wonder as this barn was some way away from the actual farm whether it was in fact an old tithe barn, ? I also remember old jack who lived in the old cottages past the black horse going towards the main road which led to the "blue bird toffee factory" he came from the black country originally and made his own ginger beer, he would have been in his 80's in the early 50's and the reciept he said came from his grandfather!.
regards all
paul.

Hello Chris.
Another great photo to add to my collection of Bartley Green and districts, this one is I think the most "moving" one so far, thank you!. It only needed a little brightness + contrast to make a fairly good picture, except for one detail that is, a detail error which rather surprises me as it makes the whole scene almost unrecognizable. So what is this small error that makes such a difference? The picture is a mirror image and needs flipping horizontally.
Norm

Are your sure Norm? If you are referring to Chris's photo of Nonsuch Farm then I believe Chris has it the 'right way' round. Stonehouse Grove lay to the left of the farm, if flipped it would put Stonehouse Grove towards what was Bartley Green Grammar School.

How sure am I you ask?. Absolutely and without a shadow of doubt 100% sure, I’m also sure that the photo is older than Chris suggested–1955-58. though I haven’t got to grips with that just yet but it maybe 5 years earlier.
Has you say L.H. Stonehouse Grove would be to the left, and you are quite correct, but the photo posted shows it to the right, the large shadows in the right hand corner are the house shadows, the small shadow just above is the shadow of a Oak tree which stood about 15 meters into the field at the top of the grove.
Does it sound as though I’m playing a game, well maybe but never the less It’s all above board.
Norm.

[img[/img]
how sure am i you ask?. Absolutely and without a shadow of doubt 100% sure, i’m also sure that the photo is older than chris suggested–1955-58. Though i haven’t got to grips with that just yet but it maybe 5 years earlier.
Has you say l.h. Stonehouse grove would be to the left, and you are quite correct, but the photo posted shows it to the right, the large shadows in the right hand corner are the house shadows, the small shadow just above is the shadow of a oak tree which stood about 15 meters into the field at the top of the grove.
Does it sound as though i’m playing a game, well maybe but never the less it’s all above board.
Norm.[/hView attachment 57520ttp://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/asset.php?fid=54254&uid=4765&d=1285080608quote]

hi printmeister if you are still looking in on the forum would it be possible for you to repost the photos that you put on on posts 1 and 2 please...or if any other members may have saved them and could re post that would be great..

many thanks folks

lyn

Lyn
I have 12 pics which I seem to have saved at that time in group labelled Nonsuch Farm. I will post them, though will divide into three posts. not absolutely sure in some cases which are which in the original posts

Attachments

• barn.jpg
    barn.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 41
  • cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 41
  • farmhouse.jpg
    farmhouse.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 43
  • farmhouse1.jpg
    farmhouse1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 43
Four more

Attachments

• farmworkers.jpg
    farmworkers.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 41
  • granddad-and-chickens.jpg
    granddad-and-chickens.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Nonsuch-Picnic.jpg
    Nonsuch-Picnic.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 40
  • plough.jpg
    plough.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 38
Last four

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 32
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 31
  • riders.jpg
    riders.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 32
  • stocking-barn.jpg
    stocking-barn.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 31
mike thats great thanks for re posting...i am sure that chilly will be delighted to see them...

lyn

Bostin’ pics Mike, ta for sharing. Good en of the old Farmhouse, if a little skew-whiff! Whilst the other with everyone sitting on the wagon’s a real boster!!

Anyroad, thought I’d add this copy of the old nineteenth-century Ordnance Survey map to things, showing Nonsuch Farm more or less on the doorstep of all the brickworks at California:

image.jpeg

Mind not many folk say California these days, which is sad, as I’m one who’s all for keepin’ the old names alive! Still, I’ve been rackin’ me mind tryin’ t’recall if there was ever any actual area signs for the district? I thought there were, but the more I think about it I en’t so sure – anyone out there remember?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn
I have 12 pics which I seem to have saved at that time in group labelled Nonsuch Farm. I will post them, though will divide into three posts. not absolutely sure in some cases which are which in the original posts
Hi Further to your question on the original post a few years ago. I have shown my mother the photos today and she is positive that this is the farm house at Nonsuch Farm . Thanks again

Where does the name Nonsuch come from. Was this term used frequently then I wonder. Maybe 'without rival'. A farm without rival.

In the 1600s a modest ship called 'The Nonsuch' started the fur trade into Hudson Bay.
The word "Nonsuch" seems to mean a person or place without equal. The most famous example, as mentioned earlier, was Nonsuch Palace near Cheam in the London Borough of Sutton. It was built in 1538 at the time of Henry VIII and was later a favourite residence of Elizabeth I. It was pulled down in 1682. Nonsuch Park still exists and there is an exhibition centre there which includes a reconstruction model of the Palace. I wonder how long the use of "Nonsuch" for "Nonsuch Farm" in Birmingham has been in existence? Dave.

i love this thread, i have lived just off summerfield road since 1993 when i was 12 and my great aunt has lived on rushy piece since it was built, if it helps part of summerfield road by the bus stop at warston avenue keeps collapsing and its believed there is a well or pond under the road there.

I think the disused Lapal canal tunnel runs under Woodgate Valley from Lapal Lane at Woodgate towards Selly Oak. I wonder whether this has anything to do with the collapse of the bus stop.

Bewdley
The junction of Summerfield Road and Warston Avenue is marked by the red symbol on this c 1955 map. You can see that it is a fair distance from the tunnel, which is also shown

Attachments

• map c 1955 showing Lapal tunnel and junction of Summerfield road and Warston Avenue.jpg
    map c 1955 showing Lapal tunnel and junction of Summerfield road and Warston Avenue.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 18
Back