• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nonsuch Farm

printmeister

master brummie
Here is a picture of a picnic at Nonsuch Farm, Bartley Green taken sometime in the 1930's. My grandmother and grandfather (Bertha Viola Thatcher and Harold Sydney Thatcher are third and fourth from the right on the back row.

I have some more pictures of the farm which I'll gradually add here.

The second picture is my grandfather, barn, cart and chickens!
The third picture is presumably the farmhouse, I wonder if anyone can confirm this?
Picture four is farmworkers and tractor

Some more Nonsuch Farm pics...

1. The barn being filled
2. My grandfather with cart and horse.
3. Another view of the farmhouse. (needs confirming)
4. Not sure if this a plough or some sort of mechanical scythe!
5. Not sure if this is the farm.. horses in a pool!

John,
I am speechless. After 10 years we finally get to see what the farm looked like! Before I forget I found paperwork relating to that old friend - he said "that he used to play football with a lad called Sid Thatcher whose family ran a farm. Sid went to George Dixon's School". Jim was born in York Street, Harborne.
We only have a snapshot of the farm taken from the back garden of one of the houses in Stonehouse Lane and can just about see the roof of either the house or one of the buildings. We have an Open Evening on the 7th October at King Edwards School in Scotland Lane (Nailmaking) and will show the photo around. There is another who used to collect eggs from there in the 60s so it would be worth our while emailing him a copy to ask the question. What does look promising is the tree in the front garden. Some residents did say that the tree grew so big that they couldn't open the front door and the tree is still there behind the shop on the Woodgate Valley estate.
Will look forward to seeing the other photos you have. I will put your name on the photos as the holder of the originals. We can't thank you enough for sharing your photo album with us.
Regards
Maureen

From research we know the RSPCA put retired/ill horses on what was Nonsuch Farm. I wonder if those horses are the same that are in the water. Will need to carefully look at the photos to see if we can pinpoint any landmarks. I have emailed the Farmhouse photo to the man who collected his eggs from there. Will let you know as soon as I get a response. Please bear with me though as I am on holiday for 3 weeks tomorrow.

Maureen

From research we know the RSPCA put retired/ill horses on what was Nonsuch Farm.

Ah.. would that explain this in my dad's/granddad's belongings?

plus another pic of the pool and horses

the third pic is my dad and uncle and two friends on a large horse. Don't know who the chap on the right is.

An old map (1883) does show a pool at the rear of Nonsuch Farm towards the boundary line of what is now Gravel Bank. However, this may well have been filled in by the 1900s. Will keep you informed of anything we come across that helps in pinpointing just where on the farm the photos were taken. I'm pleased we have been able to sort out the puzzle for you. Maybe the RSPCA can assist if you wish to take this further.

Regards
Maureen

Finished packing. Thanks for the Map Mike. However, would point out that Hillcrest School is where the brickworks were and Coalpit Farm. Nonsuch Farm's 'driveway' is now Sommerfield Road leading off Stonehouse Lane. Another entrance was the road to the right of this passed the houses in Stonehouse Lane prior to the school. The site of the actual farm house was in the now Gravel Bank behind the shop there.

Maureen

Just wanted to say thanks John I know Maureen has but these are the best photos we have had for ages, Nonsuch is one of two farms in our area where we had hardly any pictures, the other being Moor/Wilderness farm, the next farm along, now under the corner of Sommerfield Road/Tibbatts Close.What a find you are, I am glad I came back to the History forum as I hadn't been on for a while.
Thanks again we will keep in touch.
Allyson Lilly

Just wanted to say thanks John I know Maureen has but these are the best photos we have had for ages, Nonsuch is one of two farms in our area where we had hardly any pictures, the other being Moor/Wilderness farm, the next farm along, now under the corner of Sommerfield Road/Tibbatts Close.What a find you are, I am glad I came back to the History forum as I hadn't been on for a while.
Thanks again we will keep in touch.
Allyson Lilly

No problem Allyson, glad you enjoyed the pictures.

It was very interesting to see the 1930@s map with Woodgate on it - I lived about 15 minutes walk from Woodgate village as a girl. There was a farm opposite our road until a few years after the war when it was developed into a housing estate. We spent many hours playing in those fields. Couldn't recognise the area from the modern map.
Sheri

Hi printmeister what fantastic photo's. Was the farm turned into a riding stables in the early 60's. I used to go there occasionally and the horse I was on once bolted across a golf course. All I can remember were these rather lardy dardy men shouting at me. Everything flashed before my eyes. Bye. Jean.

Hi Jean,
The riding stables were owned by Les Parsons as you probably know but they didn't cover Nonsuch Farm land. We believe that as well as land at the rear of the cottages in Stonehouse Lane he also had a field further along Clapgate Lane where the factories now stand. Les sadly died a few weeks ago. He lent us several photos to scan for our archives. We have a photo on our web site of the Cali Gang, maybe you are one of those featured. (www.woodgateandthevalleyhistorygroup.co.uk)
Regards

Hi thanks for that I would love to look at the photo's as I once was a member of the cali gang. If I remember correctly Les's son died at quite a young age. My friend bought one of his gymkana ponies that could turn on a sixpense. Bye. Jean.

Hi again which section would the photo's come under please. Have had a look and the site is great. My uncle by marriage had a brother by the name of Jim Stevens and a daughter by the name of Murial. They lived in Woodgate valley for several years but have lost touch with them. Jean.

If you use the link to PHOTOS and then select California.
Which Woodgate Valley did your relatives live on? Woodgate (Woodgate Lane), Woodgate Valley South or Woodgate Valley North (Quinton).

Regards
Maureen

Back