• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

No Added Sugar

Icarus

Ancient Brummie
Last year, at the age of 13, my granddaughter Fibi was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Her parents found plenty of literature on the subject but nothing written from a child's view of coping with the condition. So Fibi has spent the last 12 months writing a book about her traumatic experiences and how she has learnt to come to terms with diabetes in the hope that it will help some of the many thousands of children per year who are diagnosed with this condition in the UK alone. Maybe someone in your own family is affected.

Her book, 'No Added Sugar' has been published by Hammersmith Press and is due for release this Thursday, 28th May.

She appeared on The BBC breakfast show at 06:40 with another interview on that show due at 08:40 this morning.

She will be holding a book-signing session at Waterstones in Solihull, possibly next week.

https://www.hammersmithpress.co.uk/noaddedsugar.html

That sounds brilliant, what a great grandaughter you have wanting to help others. I wish her well in everything she does

I think that is wonderful I was diagnosed with type2 Diabetes about 8 years ago and I am still leaning how to cope.
The one thing that stands out for myself is what is known as a Hypo, in my case I was never told what it was or to expect and when I had my first symptoms it scared me.
I had exactly the same thought. That for me is every reason for a book like to be written and I look forward to seeing your Granddaughter on BBC this morning and wish her every success with her Book.:)

Icarus glad I logged on just turned the tele on. Bet you are so proud of her. Must go to watch her. Bye. Jean.

Icarus,

I just watched Fibi and her mother. I wish her all the best with her book and her health. You must be so proud of her.
Well done Fibi!

Ann

Icarus I must just have missed Fibi and her mom. Maybe they will be on the evening or midday news?. :(:(. Bye. Jean.

Icarus, sad to hear she is diabetic but brilliant to hear how she is handling it. She sounds like a well balanced child with a good family upbringing. I wish her everything she would wish herself.

I am sorry to hear that Fibi has been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, but congratulations to her for writing the book - what a resourceful girl she sounds. I wish I had seen the TV programme, perhaps it will be on again. Good Luck and every best wish to her.

Judy

I have Type 2 diabetes and know how distressing it is to be given that news. I think Fibi has done a wonderful thing in writing her book to help other young people to come to terms with this condition. Well Done Fibi and Best Wishes for the future.
Anthea:)

just looked in to say brilliant.. that someone of her age has the strength of character ..distinctly lacking in some other kids ...and that she has the bravery and understanding ..to help us old uns to understand from her point of view ..I wish her well Good luck Fibi

Icarus I was sorry to have missed Fibi yesterday but googled no added sugar and watched her on there. For anyone else who missed it take a look with Fibi at her computer with her book. I am going back into it to watch it in full. Jean.

Icarus that's fabulous, i'm sure her book will be of great help to many children, it is so hard for them to understand what is happening, I used to work in a school and we had a child aged 5 diagnosed as type 1, so sad, but he coped wonderfully and the other children were so good with making sure he was fine and alerting us to any major problems, i only had to deal with one hypo he had, pretty frightening i can tell you even tho i already had some experience as my dad is Type 2. Well done to Fibi and i wish her every sucess :)

Fibi's having a busy time, she's due to appear on Sky News at 11:30 this morning. Not sure if it will be live at that time or recorded then for later showings.

I put her BBC interviews on Youtube. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8DrH0y3Vvs"]YouTube - No Added Sugar - Fibi Ward[/ame]

Lovely article about Fibi and her book in the Mercury today.
The photograph is beautiful,what a brave pretty girl.
Icarus you must be very proud of her.

Icarus, I've just looked at the YouTube BBC interview with Fibi. Excellent! Good luck to her with her diabetes and her book. A lovely girl.

Judy

Thanks for your kind words and, yes, I am very proud of her. :) Fibi took time out last week from her busy book promotion schedule to concentrate on her GCSE exams. I think there's a couple of magazine interviews over the next few days.

I've just read Fibi's article in the Mercury, fantastic girl and so pretty too.

Hello all.To everybody who has diabetes or knows anyone who has diabetes,please read all you can that is written by Patrick Holford. He claims that it can be reversed.I think type 1 is the tricky one,but he has stories from people whose lives have been changed by his advice.

You can help yourselves a lot

What a fantastic young lady Fibi is :)
About the bear in the interview, as part of my job we use them and also dolls to help young children and their parents to understand certain medical procedures.
We have dolls with plaster of Paris on limbs, these are to show young children that when their plaster is taken off and removed that the high spinning saw will not cut them, but just the plaster of Paris.
We also have dolls without hair, which we add wigs to to help and show children with cancer who may after their treatment suffer hair loss, that it can be fixed by wearing a specially made wig just for them and they will look just as they did before.
We teach children like Fibi to take their tests and give themselves injections, as she said with the older children using oranges. We talk other children and their parents through their operation and the procedures that they may have anxieties about, again using doll and where possible the proper equipment. :)
I will be buying Fibi's book and donating it to our centre library so it can be read by future patients and their parents.

Chris /Pom :angel:

Back