• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

No 8 Bus Crash 1963

Morning Lyn. Is it the one on the way to Bearwood? Goes off Hagley Road on the right heading out of Birmingham.

morning janice we know the crash was in high st aston...did the no 7 go to the portland road in bearwood...im not very good with bus routes

lyn

ahh i bet its portland st not road then janice...will have a look at my old map it should be on there...

lyn

janice portland st is off the lichfield road i believe the no 7 still goes that way...

lyn

yes janice i think so...as alan said there is more about it on forum which knowing me i have seen but forgot about lol..will take a look later on

lyn

as i thought i had read about it janice...memory not what it was..there is a snippet on the whitehead st thread but here is another one...

bus crash.jpg

Correct, Bob. I caught the No 7 in Witton Road every school-day for nearly 6 years to go to George Dixon GS on Portland Road, Edgbaston. The No 7 went nowhere near to Portland St in Aston. As far as I can remember it came along The Ridgeway onto Brookvale Road, then Witton Road to Six Ways, then via Alma St and Summer Lane into the city centre. Oddly enough I do recall that Alma St collision in 1963.

G

as i thought i had read about it janice...memory not what it was..there is a snippet on the whitehead st thread but here is another one...

View attachment 120286
Might be nit picking here...The accident according to the newspaper clip was at the Junction of Whitehead Road & Alma St. It was actually Whitehead St not Whitehead Rd.
Dave A

The accident didn't happen at 'Portland road'. The route number of the bus was 'No7 Portland road'

yes bob i realised that after i had posted..the way the info on the video clip read made it look like the accident was at portland road...wrong info again...

lyn

quite right dave...the accident was at the corner of whitehead st and the high st..we got there in the end:D

lyn

Back