• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

No 48 & No 49 Bus Routes

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Can someone tell me where the No 48 & No 49 Bus routes ran from and terminated in the 60's.

Phil

Phil, In 1965 the routes are given as

No. 48 City (Suffolk Street) - Balsall Heath - Alcester Road - Maypole, extended Maypole - Druids Heath (July 1969)
No. 49 City (Suffolk Street) -Leopold Street - Alcester Road - Kings Heath.

and to add to the list
No. 50 City (Carrs Lane) - Bradford Street - Alcester Road - Maypole.

By 1978
No. 48 City - Balsall Heath - Alcester Road - Maypole.
No. 49 City - Leopold Street - Kings Heath
No. 50 City - Rea Street - Alcester Road - Maypole

Have a basic route map but scanners playing up, will try later.

Colin

Last edited:
Colin

Thank you for that, I was asked this question on another forum and although I was pretty sure of the information myself I needed confirmation. With your permission I will pass on what you say.

Phil

Colin

Did the 48 ever use Leopold St, I thought that was the 49?

Phil

The 49 ran down Hurst St to Sherlock St,and turned left on to MacDonald St, then right up Leopold St to Moseley Road. I believe the destination for Moseley Village was 49F.The full 49 route ran just past Kings Heath, but was used only during rush hours.

Sorry Guys, Took information from two books and copied incorrect, have amended above.
I used to catch the no. 48 in Suffolk Street opposite the West End Dance Hall outside the Ronson shop, and the no. 50 in Carrs Lane opposite Powells Gun Makers.

Colin

The 49B terminated outside the Fighting Cocks Pub in Moseley Village. The 49A terminated at Moseley Road depot and was used for crews signing off or changing route at the end of the morning rush hour.

In my day - until January 1961 - the No. 50 terminus was the last stop in Paradise Street. There's an old photograph somewhere on BHF showing the No. 50 looking from the West End along Paradise Street towards the Town Hall.

Maurice

I remember the 50 termini being the first stop in Albert street next to the carpet shop and in a lay by complete with Bundy clock outside the Maypole pub. Mother always said that if they moved the carpet shop she wouldn't be able to find her way home. Just before it was some kind of service road and at night the BCT mobile canteen parked there.
The 48 also terminated at the Maypole in those days and when it got to Moseley village it turned left down Salisbury road and then right at the island at Cannon Hill Park, along Willows road and through Balsall Heath to town.

Hi Maurice

I used the number 50 bus frequently from when I was a child until I had my first car, and I never remember it terminating at Paradise Street. Albert St definitely , Carrs Lane possibly, High St definitely but never Paradise St.

Hi Phil,

'Twas a long time ago, so I'm not going to swear to it as I used both the 48 and 50 daily, but I remember waiting at the last stop in Paradise on many a cold wet night! I will see if I can locate that pic, which will prove me right, or more likely, wrong again!

Maurice

If you used any of those routes you were probably driven at one time or another by my dad, hence me knowing about the mobile canteen. Mom and I used to go into town when he was on a late turn and I would get treated to a Penguin ( in foil wrapper) or a Duchess Wafer. When I was older we would get a bus into town and go on Snow Hill station and have a cup of tea before window shopping.

Remember the 48 and 49 well. As a child mum and I sometimes went to meet dad from work. As he worked just off the Parade the 48/9 was Ideal as they stopped at the top end of Suffolk Street so it was a short walk along what was left of Easy Row and summer row. As we lived in Brandwood Park Road we walked up t Brandwood Road to catch the 18 to Alcester Lanes End and caught a 48 to town. I usually pestered mum to get off at Moseley Village so we could get a 49F (I loved going down Leopold Street on an old open backer!) Didn't like the 50 much as they had buses with doors at the front (Fleetlines of the 32xx batch)

I've posted a bit of this info before in another thread but I think it might be interesting here-

48 City (Suffolk Street) and Maypole via Balsall Heath (from 1966 Druids Heath Estate via Balsall Heath)
49 City (Suffolk Street) and King's Heath via Leopold Street (Rush hour only)
50 City (High Street) and Maypole via Bradford street

Short workings-

48B Cannon Hill Park
48F Moseley Village
49F Moseley Village via Leopold Street (basic service)
50A St. Martin's Circus
50B Rea Street, Digbeth
50C Moseley Road, Bradford Street (later Alcester Street, Bradford Street)
49D/50D Belgrave Road, Moseley Road
49E/50E Trafalgar Road, Moseley Road (Moseley Road Garage)
50F Moseley Village
48H/49H/50H Queensbridge Road, Alcester Road
48J King's Heath via Balsall Heath
50J King's Heath via Bradford Street
48K Alcester Lanes End via Balsall Heath
50K Alcester Lanes End via Bradford Street
48L/50L Warstock Road, Alcester Road South (Discontinued after being extended to Druids Heath)
48L Maypole via Balsall Heath

In May 1975 the 49 became a 35 (The old 49 joined with the old Brandwood Park Road and King's Heath 35 and extended to Pool Farm)

In the early 80's the 48 was axed and the 35 was diverted viaBalsall Heath leaving Leopold Street unserved.

We were quite spoiled for buses where I lived as a kid. We could walk around the corner, into Warstock and jump on the 24 or walk a little further in the opposite direction and catch the 48/50 from the Maypole terminus.
Excellent service in those days.

About every ten minutes during the day. The problem was the peak hours and the building of Smallbrook Ringway and the long queues of traffic up Hurst Street. But is it any better today?

Maurice

We were quite spoiled for buses where I lived as a kid. We could walk around the corner, into Warstock and jump on the 24 or walk a little further in the opposite direction and catch the 48/50 from the Maypole terminus.
Excellent service in those days.

Ah yes the 13/24/38. Yardley wood garage was always well stocked with Leyland buses in those days. Because of this garages tradition with Leyland vehicles they got a vast majority of the ex- midland red "leopards" when the PTE took them over in 1973. I remember these very well as they appeared on the old 35 route (guaranteed if it was an ex-Midland red bus it would be an ex-Midland red driver - the old BCT drivers wouldn't touch them!) sorry gone off topic.

Back