• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nicknames

christopher short

Birmingham Post
Here's a bit of fun. Don't be shy. What were you called in the playground or at work, or by your family ?
Well now, with a surname like mine, I'll leave you to imagine all the permutations, but as a nipper my Father called me "Everso" as in "Mom, I'm ever so hungry, or cold, tired, fed up, bored etc"

Apart from the family calling me Bab being the youngest by many years I didn't have a nickname that I can recall, but my son who was always head and shoulders above his classmates at school was called Giant.

well my knickname was twiggy cos i was so skinny if i stood behind a lamp post you wouldnt see me:D.... i can laff about it now but actually it used to upset me quite a lot even though it was said fondly but our mom always used to say to me..dont worry bab you will have the last laugh...i would like to think that i did...:):)

lyn

As a 6 ft tall, 9 stone 15 year old schoolboy who worked in a garage whenever I could during holidays I was nicknamed `Spindle`! Cant understand why !

Dad alwayscalled me SusieQ, not sure why, but it followed me to school and as there were 5 Susans in my class, tuck with me!
Sue

funny thing about nicknames they can change, in boys service it was "Spuddy", in mens service it was "Brummie".
paul

When I lived in Holte road as a child we had a little gang made up of girls. Our den was in the back garden of Lorraine's and we did all our scheming there or on our garden bench. My nickname was Peanuts. Carols name was Maisy and I can't at the moment recall the others. We were about eight years of age. Jean.

Apparently when very young I kept my parents awake at night by crying, so dad used to call me "nonshall" shortened to nonch . The name came from the well known operatic aria "Non Shall Sleep" or "Nessun Dorma"

Being the youngest of eight I was and still am called Bab and at school, probably along with the rest of my family I was called Killer.My CB days I was called Highrise.

Hello Chris, when I was an ankle biter a hole in your clothing was called a 'tater'. Trousers were called 'bags' hence the nickname 'Taterbag. I was talking to my brother the other night on the telephone, he's now eighty, and he said 'Gudday Aussie Taterbag' ,it gave me quite a glow of pleasure. Regards, David.
Here's a bit of fun. Don't be shy. What were you called in the playground or at work, or by your family ?
Well now, with a surname like mine, I'll leave you to imagine all the permutations, but as a nipper my Father called me "Everso" as in "Mom, I'm ever so hungry, or cold, tired, fed up, bored etc"

Because i had hair the colour of a belisha beacon as you can guess i was called ginger nut,thank god with old age my hair colour has calmed down a lot. Unfortunately my oldest grandson has inherited the red gene, and is called the same as i was.

With a name like mine everybody called me Dekabus not that I was big in fact I was the opposite. Dek

Mine was Stretch at school because of my surname - Stretton. And. later, one of my boyfriends tagged me Miss Mouse, because I was so quite (can't say that now). Later it became Miss M, then The Divine Miss M, when Bette Middler brought out her album of the same name. Now I'm called Limey Lynda.

At school, I don't think I had one. In the years after I left and went straight into factory work, I've had a few.........(Bear in mind I'm 6'4" tall!)
Lank, Lanky, Lofty, Lurch, Big 'Un etc. Then a few about my appearance, hair etc...... Spike, Spikey (Hair), Gweedo (never understood that one!) and finally a not so nice one that stuck for a while as I was after one of the girls in our canteen when I was 18, Larry (the lapdog)!!!

Neil

I was so slim "thin" when small that I was called 'spindle' - no one can call me that now!!!!!!!!! miriam

We have identical twin sons and the teacher asked me to embroider their initials on their school jumpers. Their names are Steven and Peter and they ended up being called pepper and salt. The embroidery was removed sharpish. Steve broke a front tooth and had it replace with a silver one so s for silver and Steven. Problem solved. Jean.

Back