• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nickless Handsworth West Bromwich.

RobertS

master brummie
Hello there folks

I'm looking for traces of a Lilian M Nickless (Possibly Lilian Mary, the Mary after her paternal grandmother) who was worn in Handsworth in the Sept Quarter of 1928.

Her father was Walter William Nickless b June Q1894 Handsworth West Bromwhich and her mother Lilian Sheldon b17 Nov 1886 Splash Street Aston. Married June 1925 West Bromwich.

There's always a chance she is in someones family tree or someone out there knew her or her family.

Cheers.

the family were living 28 haseley road, in 1918 and 1920

and from 1930 - 1955 at 42 clarence rd.

walter william nickless on the absent voters list of 1918 j/69454 A.B. Conqueror R.N.

Shera

Thanks ever so much for the information. Filled one gap and given some more leads.

Thanks again.

I grew up in Haseley Road during the 1950s, and remember Mrs. Nickless (an elderly lady) at No. 28, so part of the family must have remained there for some years.

Last edited:
I grew up in Haseley Road during the 1950s, and remember Mrs. Nickless (an elderly lady) at No. 28, so part of the family must have remained there for some years.

Thanks for this Bryn. If some of the Nickless family moved from Haseley Road to Clarence Road but your Mrs Nickless was back at the old address as late as the 1950's I will have to work out who she was.

Thanks again

28 Haseley Road - 1925 - 1965

1925 - Joseph James & Beatrice Evelyn Nickless & Horace William Turner
1927 - Joseph James & Beatrice Evelyn Nickless & Thomas Riley
1930 - Joseph James & Beatrice Evelyn Nickless
1935 - Joseph James & Beatrice Evelyn Glencora Nickless -
1939 - Joseph James Nickless
1945 - Joseph J, Beatrice E G & Dennis E Nickless
1947 - Joseph J, Dennis E & Beatrice E G Nickless & Eric Chell
1950 - Joseph J & Beatrice E G Nickless
1952 - Joseph J & Beatrice E G Nickless & Roy G Pittaway
1955 - 1965 Joseph & Beatrice E Nickless

(A Joseph J Nickless married Beatrice E.G.C. Riley in 1914 West Bromwich)

Suzanne

Thanks for that Suzanne. The above would be Joseph James Nickless born 1893. He was the brother of Walter William Nicklessborn 1894 who married (1925) the Lilian Sheldon born 1886. Stepping slowly closer!

Again thanks

Hi

Well Lilian M Nickless is still living with her parents in 1965 but they are now at 66 Pakefield Road.

Suzanne

Thanks again.

Don't know if you are connected but just in case. Walter William Nickless died in in 1968 in Birmingham, his wife Lilian nee Sheldon in Leicester in 1997 (I think), Lilian M Nickless, their daughter. appears to have married Jack Dobson in 1969 (following the death of her father.)

Have more background on the parents of Lilian Nickless nee Sheldon if anyone needs it.

My nanna and grandpa were Joseph James Nickless (1892-1974) and his wife Beatrice Evelyn Glencora nee Riley (1892- 1981) mentioned above, and Dennis Nickless their third child was my uncle, whi emigrated to New Zealand in 1954. My mother was Hecla Beatrice Nickless 1917-1986 for whom I can give you more details.
Lilia nee Sheldon must have been [great]Aunty Lily whom I vaguely remember, my nanna's sister-in-law..
Yes I have a second cousin "Mary" Nickless, who married Jack Dobson. She lived in Leicester and after Jack's death (and the death of her mother Lilian) she moved to Canada where one of her uncles Henry Nickless was already living. I exchanged letters with her last, in 1991.
I am surprised Lilian nee Sheldon lived as long as 1997. More likely that's when Mary finally sold up in Leicester?

Back