• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

NFS Training School Sutton Park

Mike Bunn

I wonder if anyone can help with information about the training school for NFS firemen and women operational in Sutton Park?
Since giving a talk on Warwickshire fire service history I have had contact with a number of people whose fathers were either trained there or were trainers. One has supplied some interesting photos.
I am proposing to write a history of the school if I can find enough information to justify it. I have drawn a blank so far except to establish the school was formed in August 1944 but I have no closure date which maybe 1948 when the NFS was disestablished.
If anyone can help with even the smallest piece of info I’d be grateful.
Mike Bunn

I wonder if anyone can help with information about the training school for NFS firemen and women operational in Sutton Park?
Since giving a talk on Warwickshire fire service history I have had contact with a number of people whose fathers were either trained there or were trainers. One has supplied some interesting photos.
I am proposing to write a history of the school if I can find enough information to justify it. I have drawn a blank so far except to establish the school was formed in August 1944 but I have no closure date which maybe 1948 when the NFS was disestablished.
If anyone can help with even the smallest piece of info I’d be grateful.
Mike Bunn
There is a photo in the Sutton Park thread which may be of interest. There may be other information in the thread. Also there are links in the thread to the external Sutton Coldfield site.
Link to the post containing the photo

Fire Service Training Centre Sutton Park

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190308-145937.jpg
    Screenshot_20190308-145937.jpg
    981.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20190308-145906.jpg
    Screenshot_20190308-145906.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 20
i have looked at quite a few web sites regarding Sutton Park and Sutton Coldfied. Little mention of the NFS place could be found.
This mentions lots of other WW2 units set up in the Park:

It crosses my mind that the NFS place moved elsewhere and was given over for the use of American servicemen. A quick glance shows some building similarities.

Last edited:
Men under training at Sutton Park Harold Field in charge with Neil Perrin in the ranks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190308-151821.jpg
    Screenshot_20190308-151821.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
The photo caption says Sutton Coldfield, not Park. But the vehicle (ATV?) does look grey painted and seems to be marked NFS.

Post 2 indicates that there was a Civil Defence Camp at Sutton Park, and at least it was proposed to use it as a fire training school. But would the Fire Service be considered part of the Civil Defence during the war?

Post 2 indicates that there was a Civil Defence Camp at Sutton Park, and at least it was proposed to use it as a fire training school. But would the Fire Service be considered part of the Civil Defence during the war?
Yes, I believe they were, Pedro.

My Dad trained at Sutton Park when he joined the NFS in November 1947. I posted a picture his class on another thread.

The Fire Engine in the background has the NFS logo on the side.

In Februari 1945 my grandfather (fifth from the right on the back row) was at a training camp of the National Civil Defence Rescue School in Sutton Park (coming from the Netherlands as a volunteer). Does anybody know where exactly this picture was taken? Maybe someone recognizes the statue in the back?

Many thanks!

Maarten

DG0072.jpg

Hi Maarten, welcome to the forum. I live by Sutton Park but I don't recognise anything in the picture (excellent quality by the way). I'm sure there are members who will be able to help though.

I hav emoved the last two posts to this earlier thread which seems to discuss the school

In Februari 1945 my grandfather (fifth from the right on the back row) was at a training camp of the National Civil Defence Rescue School in Sutton Park (coming from the Netherlands as a volunteer). Does anybody know where exactly this picture was taken? Maybe someone recognizes the statue in the back?

Many thanks!

Maarten

View attachment 158063

Would it be the Training Camp for the Civil Defence Reserve in Sutton Park ?

In December 1944 The Camp in Sutton Park...First Column of CD Reserve We’re awaiting embarkation to the Continent.

In November of 1945 the Camp was subject of representations to Ministry of Works against using the Camp as a National Fire Service Training School.

Many thanks!

Maarten

View attachment 158063

The monument in the background looks like the drinking fountain in Sutton Park as shown on the map below. I do know that park had a number of temporary structures use for the wars.

There was a similar fountain in Short Heath park Erdington too.

Fountain Sutton Park.png

Back