• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newtown Row

Hi Lyn
The photo just says court no 44 Tower St. As well as houses there was a workshop and St Nicholas sunday School.

stars

Hi Lyn
The photo just says court no 44 Tower St. As well as houses there was a workshop and St Nicholas sunday School.

stars

great stars..maybe if mike sees this he will post us a map showing court 44..

thanks stars its a great pic..

Bit of a problem . It can't be court 44, as there is no court 44 in either tower st or Lower tower st. The maps show up to about 34 in each csse, with possible unnamed courts on map bringing it to a couple more, but definitely not 44. Between 96 & 97 is unnamed court shown in blue. But have also found directory the shows St Nicolas Mission hall between 92 & 93, which would be court 34 (in red). The marked court 34 doesn’t look right as , in the photo, ther is another building across not too far from entrance, and 34 is a long court. The blue court would be about right , as there is a building across quite close to entrance. The building across in the blue court could also be the mission Hall, as it is quite big, whereas the red on only seems to have house-sized buildings.
Neither court is listed in the 1920 electoral roll, though there is a back 96 & back 97 listed
A possible explanation would be if both blue and red areas were considered to be part of court 34, though there does seem to be walls separating the joins. This would explain different positions (92-93 or 96-97), and why it is not numbered. I tend towards this explanation, as the only one that I can think of
the map shows the Newtown row end of Lower tower st, with newtown row on the right
Mike

map_c_1889_showingcourt_34_and_yard_between_96_and_97_lower_tower_st.jpg

thanks mike...you are probably right with that explanation..is that court 43 on the right or do i need to put me specs on lol..

Last edited:
just found this map mike...strange how i imagined that stars pic would have been on the other side of the road...ive got a pic somewhere of the recreation ground showing in green on the map will sort it out and post it..
lyn

towerstmap2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mike & Lyn
It also says that the court contains a japanning workshop and St Nicholas Church Sunday School as well as houses.
It seems a mistery. It is a shame that the name for the Japanning workshop is not there. It just says japanning is a widespread
trade in Birmingham, and involves a process of covering metal wares with black laquer or varnish. Thanks for looking mike.

Stars

morning stars ive just had a look at my pic and it just says number 44 tower st not court 44...very strange lol..any road up the main thing is we have a cracking pic there..

lyn

Good Morning Astoness
I have just checked the photo and you are right, it depends how you read it. It says (Vew into the court at No 44 Tower St)
But yes its a cracking photo.

Stars

Here is a photo of a living room in a house in Gee St Newtown in 1920.
note it still has gas lighting, and comes complete with the hole in the celing.
and the rope clothes line hanging above the fire.

Image1_A_room_in_Gee_St_Newtown_1920.jpg

Regards stars

Well whoever lived there Stars they certainly made it home, despite the hole in the ceiling. It's funny because I was only recently telling my kids about my grandparents house and how it was normal to have the milk bottle standing on the table along with a Mother's Pride loaf in waxed paper. Then there was the chenille table cloth, if you were lucky. And tbe high spindle-back chair, usually reserved for the head of household. Amazing photo. Thanks. Viv.

Hi Viv
I know what you mean. I remember when we first got wed and stayed at my grans in Brougham st. She would make a pot of tea
and put it on the stand on the table with a tea cosy on it. She would still be pouring cups of tea out of that pot 1/2 hour later, ( it was like bugs blood)
and not forgetting the bread board with a lump of bread and the knife on it. If ever that loaf fell of the table onto your toes, i am sure it would
be a trip to the hospital with broken toes.

Regards Stars

cant be certain but i think that bracebridge st is to the right of this pic...

35082717Newtown1.jpg

this is the best shot i have seen of the bank that was on the corner of newtown row and milton st...bartons arms pub in the distance..
dated 1967
Bank__Newtown_Row_jh__-_18-1-1967.jpg

In the 1970s and 1980s Keith Berry took photographs in the Newtown area and one of the photographs showed these shops but he did not give a location. Anyone know ? ....:)
26Newtown01.jpg

yes phil its the gt hampton row shops....when we left villa st we moved to uxbridge st just off gt hampton row so i knew those shops well...the tower block on the right is rea tower the one on the the right is teviot tower..little brown jug pub just out of shot on the left

lyn

yes phil its the gt hampton row shops....when we left villa st we moved to uxbridge st just off gt hampton row so i knew those shops well...the tower block on the right is rea tower the one on the the right is teviot tower..little brown jug pub just out of shot on the left

lyn
Hi Lyn,
I notice the grassed area does not look the same today perhaps it has been fenced in to be with the tower where KB took his photo from. The 'Payless' appears to have become a 'Cost Cutter' after all the years.
Phil

yes it has changed quite a bit phil...the payless shop became a co op for many years then costcutter..roy and son was the butchers

lyn

Last edited:
just looked a my map mike...so they were more or less opposite lower tower st then..hard to beleive....

lyn
I was born n Manchester St 1936 and between Manchester and Brewery St was green grocers a butcher a pork butcher Alcocks were i worked part tme while at school then news agents Bellas a barbers Blowers opposite Lower tower St net to that was W shillcocks were l worked after leaving school next to that was another green grocers then the post office then another butchers then on the corner of Brewery st was Boadhurst scrap dealers

I was born n Manchester St 1936 and between Manchester and Brewery St was green grocers a butcher a pork butcher Alcocks were i worked part tme while at school then news agents Bellas a barbers Blowers opposite Lower tower St net to that was W shillcocks were l worked after leaving school next to that was another green grocers then the post office then another butchers then on the corner of Brewery st was Boadhurst scrap dealers
The pork butchers shop was part of Shillcocks before the butchers and was the shop that the F A cup was stollen from

newtown row looking towards city centre. 1978.a few yards behind the city bound bus is no 78 the shop of william shillocks boot and shoe repairers where the original fa cup ws stolen from in 1895..

bookpics027.jpg
Willlam Shillcocks was a football boots and rugby boots manufacturer i worked there early 50s

Here is a photo of a living room in a house in Gee St Newtown in 1920.
note it still has gas lighting, and comes complete with the hole in the celing.
and the rope clothes line hanging above the fire.

Image1_A_room_in_Gee_St_Newtown_1920.jpg

Regards stars
my nans house was like that in 1950s. i loved the gas lighting,and candles to bed:grinning:

I was born in a three-storey council house in Newtown Row - opposite a quite large church (St John's?). Once a week I went with my parents to the sixpenny seats at the local fleapit The Globe Cinema (nearly opposite the Barton Arms.) Once in while, we also went to a rather posher cinema The Orient, which was nearly at Six Ways. Anybody remember any of these?

Yes,every Saturday afternoon my brother and l would go to the Globe and watch Flash Gordon,,Hopalong Casssidy etc,then after wards go to the pie shop just down from the Globe and buy a nice hot pie....a few years later l joined the ABC club at the Orient it was a really step up from the Globe real posh.. this would be the 1940s

I was born in a three-storey council house in Newtown Row - opposite a quite large church (St John's?). Once a week I went with my parents to the sixpenny seats at the local fleapit The Globe Cinema (nearly opposite the Barton Arms.) Once in while, we also went to a rather posher cinema The Orient, which was nearly at Six Ways. Anybody remember any of these?

I remember The Orient , I think when I used the Orient the Globe had disappeared

I remember the Orient!

Back