• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newtown Row

Anyone know what the pub was on the left (with black lanterns) second photo ? These Phyllis Nicklin photos really captured Birmingham in the 1960s. In my mind, everywhere seemed to be in the process of demolition and/or redevelopment. Any bus journey would take you through building site after building site. At the time I remember thinking it was for the better - being young, we liked new development and new buildings. May not have for been for the better in all cases (and in the long term) but at the time it made us feel part of a city making progress. Viv.

Anyone know what the pub was on the left (with black lanterns) second photo ? These Phyllis Nicklin photos really captured Birmingham in the 1960s. In my mind, everywhere seemed to be in the process of demolition and/or redevelopment. Any bus journey would take you through building site after building site. At the time I remember thinking it was for the better - being young, we liked new development and new buildings. May not have for been for the better in all cases (and in the long term) but at the time it made us feel part of a city making progress. Viv.
i have always admired those 2 photos viv...the pub looks to be on a corner but not certain...gt russell st was a long street

lyn

was it the The Justice?
it could be pete..the photo looks to me to be heading down towards farm st and i dont know how many pubs were on gt russell st...difficult to pinpoint this one at the min..will take a look at the gt russell st thread it may give us some clues but from memory i think there was a pub just before farm st

lyn

I think it is the St. Matthias PH, the 'lantern' is a sign saying smoke room.
@

brummy-lad

I can confirm it was called the St. Matthias.
I used to live around the corner at 154 Bridge St West until it was demolished in 1965/66 I think.
I used to play 'marbles' right outside the pub.
I went to St. Matthias School at Wheeler St/Farm St later to move to Summer Lane School and later St. George's Comprehensive.
I now look back on that era with much nostalgia and great affection.

hi lycan and welcome...we have a thread for bridge street west showing many photos before it was demolished..click on link below..you maybe better to start reading the thread at post 168 which is when i started re posting my photos after we lost them when the forum was hacked

lyn

Last edited:
Back