• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newtown Palace Cinema

Hi Topsy.. I just ment the Matinees in general started 1949.. when the restrictions came off.. The picture was taken in 1959.... Hmm age and my white stick ... :eek:)

Question For Ten Points. Who Created the Expression Topsy Turvy ??? :eek:)

Hello ALF,

Just been looking through this thread and I see that at one time you lived in Newtown Row.
I wondered if you remembered a Newsagents on Newtown Row by the name of Hudsons
I think it was close to Brearley Street There was also a Drapers shop and a Butchers nearby?????
I KNOW you must be glad to be home and hope you are feeling much better.
Betty

Hi Topsy.... The Creator of the Expression "Topsy Turvy" was "W.S. Gilbert" the Playwrite and Libretist of the Gilbert & Sullivan Operas.. etc etc I am so full of useless knowledge... :playful:

Here's a few more photo's of the New Town Row area, that I do not think have been seen on the forum before.

The one of J.A.Ryley's was taken in 63, I must have been inside the building at the time because thats where I worked at the time.

Phil

NewtownNewJohnStWest.jpg
NewtownLowerTowerSt1958-1.jpg

NewtownJARyleyNewtownRow1964.jpg
Hi Phil.. I cannot see the pictures you put on here of the Newtown Row area...

Bushbaby I have reinstated my posted images on this thread, though I cannot be sure they are the originals. If you come across any moore of my posted images on the forum anywhere that are missing please let me know.

A few pictures (some repeats I think) attributed to Mike Blakemore on the "cinematreasures" website.

Attachments

• newtown-palace.jpg
    newtown-palace.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 20
  • newtown-palace-2.jpg
    newtown-palace-2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 22
  • newtownpalace-3.jpg
    newtownpalace-3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 23
  • newtown palace-4.jpg
    newtown palace-4.jpg