• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newtown Palace Cinema

R

RobertH

Does anyone have any information about the Newtown Palace Cinema? My great uncle Charles (Charlie) Dyke was the manager there in the 1930's and I have a number of photos of the annual chara trips from there.

Thanks ASTONITE :) Lovely photos,

The 1st one (on left) the Photographer was standing on the corner of
Ormond Street ;) looking across Newtown Row to paper shop & P M Hart Insurance

The Newtown Palace Cinema,, ooh i still got the flea pit bite marks :confused2:
but Robert ,,not from your Uncle Charlies tenure there 1930,s it must have been Palatial & beautiful then,
Nope my scars are from late 50,s when whole area going down the nick ,but as kids,,happier times.
Cheers JohnY :cool:

I remember going to the Saturday morning matinees every week in the late 40s/early 50s. Cost about 1/-. Dan Dare, Roy Rogers, Hoppalong Cassidy, cartoons, etc.

hi all. i know someone will put me right on this. was there another picture house just off the high street i think called the globe(think ive got a pic of it somewhere) dad always says that was full of fleas to. wales.

Last edited:
Hi Wales,
The Globe was on the corner of New Street and High Street directly opposite the Aston Hippodrome. It was known as the local flea pit. My wife and her mom, dad and uncle lived in houses up an entry opposite the Globe until 1948. Either side of the entry was a fish & chip shop and an outdoor. What a combination to have on hand!! Then across the road was the Bartons Arms and the Aston Hipp with all the young lady strippers. Paradise for some eh! Imagine being drunk in the pub, coming out to see a strip show, afterwards popping in for fish & chips, then next door for a bottle of beer and a bag of crisps on the way home!

My husband used this cinema as it was just up the road from where he lived [Witton road] He also said you would come out with more than you went in with. FLEAS. Bye. Jean.

life dont get much better than that does it dave. dont know if youve got the globe but here it is anyway. wales. ps did you see the pic of the stork i posted. well i think i did anyway. wales.

The Newtown Palace opened Monday 5th January 1914 it had seating for 2000 and was owned by Moss Empires Ltd. It had a full stage and seven dressing rooms.

It closed as a cinema on Saturday 22nd April 1961, showing Boris Karloff in The Giant Claw. After a varied life it finally closed as a Bingo Hall in 1983.

Phil
Newtown Palace.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Wales,
Nice pics of the Globe and Hipp. I did see your pic of the Stork thanks. What was the name of the side street? I will post a list soonish of pubs I have pics of then you can flood me out with the others!

30 years ago-almost. I worked for the security company that looked after the Aston hippodrome in its dying days. Great prescence on my visits there.:)

dave. ive just looked in me 56 kellys. looks like the stork was the last building along the high street then you came to asylum road. if im wrong someone will let us know. :) wales.

Dave....you covered just about all the places to go after the Saturday matinee at the Globe....mom gave us just enough money to see the show and get a meat pie on the way home....used to love whatching the pies being made....wonder if they would taste as good now as they did then...happy days Brenda

Here's a few more photo's of the New Town Row area, that I do not think have been seen on the forum before.

The one of J.A.Ryley's was taken in 63, I must have been inside the building at the time because thats where I worked at the time.

Phil

Newtown British Lion Newtown Row 1959 .jpgNewtown J A Ryley Newtown Row 1963.JPGNewtown Palace Cafe Newtown Row (2).JPG

Last edited:
once again nice pics phil havent seen them before. just the other day i was standing outside the old corbetts waiting to get the bus back from mom and dads. wales.

Phil,
Great photos,I lived in this area for the 1st 21 years of my life.But for the life of me I can't recognise the location shown in this picture of New John Street West.Can you help me please?
Maurice.

Back