• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newtown

I crossed-paths at Christmas with a retired social worker who worked in that area and I am hoping the two of us and the necessary technology can get together in the near future and put together some more background.

It would be nice if someone recognises themselves! I was thinking that maybe those children wouldn't have had many photographs taken of themselves at that time but maybe we only recognise ourselves as children because our relatives were able to point us out in old photographs?

thought i would put this pic on. its taken in new john st west newtown 1967. on the right you can just see the old houses are still up. maybe someone will recognise these three lads. wales
I lived in John St the other side of Newtown Row i the late 40's 50's..

I crossed-paths at Christmas with a retired social worker who worked in that area and I am hoping the two of us and the necessary technology can get together in the near future and put together some more background.

It would be nice if someone recognises themselves! I was thinking that maybe those children wouldn't have had many photographs taken of themselves at that time but maybe we only recognise ourselves as children because our relatives were able to point us out in old photographs?

god willing they are out there somewhere spargone...fingers crossed some may turn up on this forum.. :)

lyn

thanks viv..just trying to place where brooks tower was situated

edit it was demolished in 2002...clifford walk

Brooks Tower was a 20 storey tower block in the Newtown area of Aston, Birmingham. Plans for the block were approved in 1968, along with Wiggin Tower and Hodgson Tower, as the final tower blocks in the Newtown area. Construction was completed in 1971 by Bryant using the Bison construction technique. It was 57 metres tall and contained 118 flats.Birmingham-tower-blocks-6.jpg

Brooks Tower was a 20 storey tower block in the Newtown area of Aston, Birmingham. Plans for the block were approved in 1968, along with Wiggin Tower and Hodgson Tower, as the final tower blocks in the Newtown area. Construction was completed in 1971 by Bryant using the Bison construction technique. It was 57 metres tall and contained 118 flats.View attachment 167785
thanks pete...the block behind thats just a puff of smoke is wiggin tower where my brother lived on the top floor

C Bryant & son did a lot of work in aston they built the new astonbrook sewer in newtown in the 60s as well

C Bryant & son did a lot of work in aston they built the new astonbrook sewer in newtown in the 60s as well
Hi All, Just read this amazing thread. What wonderful photos. Thank you Spargone and many others.
I worked in Newtown, so it was very interesting for me.

A couple of weeks ago I was reading a thread about fish and chip shops, I posted that I used one in Newtown Row, when I fetched the lunches for the girls in the office when I was a junior. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my bearings and didn't remember quite where it was. What do I find when looking at this thread? A pic of that very fish shop. (#84) (Aston lad confirms this for me in post #94). I was over the moon, it meant a lot. Thank you Pete.
The moral of the story is never give up. This isn't the first time BHF has made me happy with photographs and information. Thanks to Lyn and all Moderators. You are amazing.
Kind regards Sue

hi sue so pleased you have found your chippy bit like finding an old friend:).....like i always say they are out there somewhere and never give up searching for photos..ps i am sure we have a thread for newtown row with more photos...

lyn

Opposite Harts before they knocked that side down there was a pub there I thought it was called the sportsmans inn but I cannot find any reference so I must of got the name wrong .Iwas certain there was a pub there as when I was young I use to go with my mum while she done some cleaning in there for them also I vaguely remember a chip shop somewhere along the same side as harts .Maybe someone might remember if they were there so I can see if my memories are correct.
The chip shop was next door to Harts. It was owned/run by John Shakespear's mom & dad. He went to Elkington Street School and then on to Marsh Hill Boys.

View attachment 182071
Newtown Row in the 1970s - Photograph reproduced with the kind permission of the late Keith Berry
Check this thread for a set of photos I posted previously of these shops not long before they were demolished - starting at post #118:-

Back