• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newtown

great mike thanks for the map...will see if i have a photo of this pub but from memory i dont..mind you the old memory is not what it was

lyn

The Chip was next to Harts...used it quite regular with my mates after a game of football on Blew Street Park.....There was a pub across the way, and I do think it was listed, but the buggers knocked it down....I cannot think of the name ...The Sportsman doesn't ring any bells for me...
The " buggers knocked it down " thank you a real expression from my youth made me chuckle and my eyes water.

I remember a Sportsman pub on Summer Lane, is it the same one?
Dave A

hi dave hope you are well.. post 105 shows a pic of the sportsman corner of newtown row/moorsom st..

far as i know there was no pub of that name on summer lane...check out the below thread which shows a map of all the pubs on summer lane which photos in the 60s...

lyn

Pete,

Re: your post #91, Perry Pens was at 36 Lancaster Street on the right hand side going out of town. My father worked there from 1918 until the day before he died in 1952,. Not sure when my mother started there, but it would be in the early 1920s and she left in around October 1935. In all, 8 members of my mother's LONGMORE family, including several great aunts, worked there at one time or another, and they employed a total of 2,000 people at the height of thier operations in late Victorian times. They were then the largest manufacturers of steel pen nibs in the world sending millions to the States every year. The pens side of the business was bought out by British Pens Ltd in 1960 and the premises were demolished around 1962. It occupied the whole of the block between Brick Kiln Street and Lawson Street (formerly York Street I believe), as shown on this map supplied by Mike some years ago. Across the back ran Staniforth Street.

Maurice :cool:

Perryan_Works_Map_1890.jpg

Pete,

Re: your post #91, Perry Pens was at 36 Lancaster Street on the right hand side going out of town. My father worked there from 1918 until the day before he died in 1952,. Not sure when my mother started there, but it would be in the early 1920s and she left in around October 1935. In all, 8 members of my mother's LONGMORE family, including several great aunts, worked there at one time or another, and they employed a total of 2,000 people at the height of thier operations in late Victorian times. They were then the largest manufacturers of steel pen nibs in the world sending millions to the States every year. The pens side of the business was bought out by British Pens Ltd in 1960 and the premises were demolished around 1962. It occupied the whole of the block between Brick Kiln Street and Lawson Street (formerly York Street I believe), as shown on this map supplied by Mike some years ago. Across the back ran Staniforth Street.

Maurice :cool:

View attachment 139528
brill.thanks for the reply.maurice

well they may have knocked it down but here is a pic of it...

lyn

View attachment 139499
Lyn I cannot believe you found this photo of a pub which no one remembered and was knocked down years ago you must have a magical wand that you wave and your photos appear no wonder you are called moderators you for photos and Mike for maps.You should all be called wizards ha ha!

hi dave hope you are well.. post 105 shows a pic of the sportsman corner of newtown row/moorsom st..

far as i know there was no pub of that name on summer lane...check out the below thread which shows a map of all the pubs on summer lane which photos in the 60s...

lyn
Thanks for the update Lyn, I guess that age is finally taking it's toll on my memory. On another topic/s...I found a picture of me & my mini, outside Moseley School of Art on Lime Grove. My question is, what would be the appropriate topic as the Moseley Rd baths are also visible in the background.
Dave A

:D now theres a question dave....i guess you could post it either on the moseley school of art thread or the moseley baths thread i shall leave it up to you...be good to see it..think we have threads for both...

lyn

:D now theres a question dave....i guess you could post it either on the moseley school of art thread or the moseley baths thread i shall leave it up to you...be good to see it..think we have threads for both...

lyn
Thanks for the input Lyn...I just wish that the quality of the photos were as good as what you post.
Dave A

Back