• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newtown

box30022.jpg
box30025.jpgbox30026.jpgbox30036.jpgbox30044.jpg
Well as Warner Brother's 'Looney Tunes' used to say "That's All Folks!".

A bit of social history including people who wouldn't normally make it on to film.
While I am certain that I now own these images I am also aware that they were probably originally taken for the enjoyment of the parties involved and that there would have been an implied trust that they wouldn't be mis-used. Hopefully sufficient time has elapsed for them to be shown to a wider audience without causing any harm.

think we posted at the same time spargone...see my post 60

i also see no reason why you should not post your photos...in fact in time hopefully some of the children will spot them and be delighted to see them as apart from themselves they may contain photos of their parents...wonderful

lyn

View attachment 139083
View attachment 139084View attachment 139085View attachment 139086View attachment 139087
Well as Warner Brother's 'Looney Tunes' used to say "That's All Folks!".

A bit of social history including people who wouldn't normally make it on to film.
While I am certain that I now own these images I am also aware that they were probably originally taken for the enjoyment of the parties involved and that there would have been an implied trust that they wouldn't be mis-used. Hopefully sufficient time has elapsed for them to be shown to a wider audience without causing any harm.
Jim, These are Birmingham History Gold. They are wonderful and I wonder whether, at the time, your mother realised what an invaluable source of social history they would turn out to be. I don't know how many pictures you have but they would make a wonderful exhibition for the people of Birmingham to enjoy. It would be absolutely brilliant if anyone depicted recognised themselves and could add a bit of background story to the photos. I do hope so.
If you have more please keep them coming, THEY ARE WONDERFUL!.

Spargone.
Here is the position of Yarnolds (in red), which would make it Hockley yard in the distance
View attachment 139057
There is something not right here. The picture of Yarnolds that you referred to [#16] is without doubt the same location as my picture with the dog but the view of the railway doesn't fit the above map, the alignment is wrong to my mind. It also seems to me that going to the current Google StreetView of 'Yarnolds' junction it at first looks as though the last of the (three?) shops on Ford Street (the implied location) is still standing, but it has three storeys whereas the 'dog' photo looks like only two to me. I never knew the area so I am open to being convinced!

hi spargone quite right those buildings on the corner of lodge road and ford st are still standing they have the green shutters on them...looking at mike map yarnolds was on the opposite corner of lodge road and park road south.. where the tree is the lady with the dog post 23 is actually standing in ford st think ive got that correct...we do have members who lived in ford st who maybe able to confirm this....street view below...

Last edited:
spargone..the lady in post 57 photo 2 is locking up st georges rectory house..the trip out has a look of dudley zoo

lyn
It looks like a dis-used factory to me that has been 're-purposed'!

I could believe that #55 photo 3 was taken at a rectory, it has 'the look'.

It's a very long time since I was at Dudley Zoo and at that time the site was dominated by a hill and castle whereas the 'trip' location seems quite flat, like Twycross. (I had a look at the Google map, it appears to show a lake area but it doesn't exist on the satellite view but one always has to bear in mind that the streetview, map and satellite view are three different products linked together and produced at different times).
I hoped that my sister might have been able to shed some light but her memory of the FSU days was that "If you weren't actually wearing your knickers there was every chance that they would be bagged up for the FSU". She, like me, never saw where mum actually worked in her 'Aston' days.
Seeing tower blocks reminds me that once she managed to get a second-hand cooker for a client who lived in a tower block. The next time she visited him she narrowly avoided being flattened by the cooker after it was pushed over an upper floor stair rail. Presumably the client didn't actually mean to kill her as he shouted down, "Now you will HAVE to get me a new one!"

Last edited:
I am thinking that the day out is to Drayton Manor Park and Zoo early/mid 60's?
You could well be right! Near Tamworth might well be how mum described it. I have been past the gate of Twycross Zoo many times and that is 'near Tamworth' but Drayton Manor is just a well-know name to me, never a destination.

post 57 photos 2.3 and 4 all taken outside the rectory house..same no parking gates and door..my pic 2 is a black and white of the house....says st georges above the door but the word rectory is missing...in fact quite a few of the photos on this thread are taken there...the factory to the right is C BRANDAURS which is still there and at the min is under refurbishment...my pic 1 is also of st georges rectory house on the right and on the left is st edwards church..had a couple of rellies get married therenew john st west...st georges rectory.jpg

new john st west 2.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely pictures that match the slides beautifully. But they don't match the buildings on StreetView or this. The building to the right of "St Georges....." has three arches and a triangular feature over the door whereas the Brandauer building is all arches. It is also four storeys versus three. I would have thought that St Georges (so industrial!) would be further to the west, i.e. demolished along with the buildings on either side. I say that judging by the view of the flats which to my eye seem too far away from Brandauer's.
newnjs.jpgoldnjs.jpg
The blue marker(s) above are where I think St George's was and it and the buildings to the immediate east have gone leaving the large Brandaeur block. Perhaps the missing three storey building belonged to them too?

There is something not right here. The picture of Yarnolds that you referred to [#16] is without doubt the same location as my picture with the dog but the view of the railway doesn't fit the above map, the alignment is wrong to my mind. It also seems to me that going to the current Google StreetView of 'Yarnolds' junction it at first looks as though the last of the (three?) shops on Ford Street (the implied location) is still standing, but it has three storeys whereas the 'dog' photo looks like only two to me. I never knew the area so I am open to being convinced!
Kellys shows that Yarnolds were at 383-386 Lodge Road, which corresponds to the building marked in red (nos on map). I do not think that the view was taken from /ford St, though, but from Park Road. If you look at the map below, the line of site from Ford St would not have shown all the Yarnolds building (In red), but the view from Park road (in blue) would have shown the whole building

map c1950nlodge road.park road junction giving lines of site.jpg

Kellys shows that Yarnolds were at 383-386 Lodge Road, which corresponds to the building marked in red (nos on map). I do not think that the view was taken from /ford St, though, but from Park Road. If you look at the map below, the line of site from Ford St would not have shown all the Yarnolds building (In red), but the view from Park road (in blue) would have shown the whole building

View attachment 139096
The view from the 'dog' picture of Yarnolds is pretty tangential to Yarnolds west flank, which makes Park Road a better candidate. The other thing to note is that Ford Road east side numbering is even while Park Road numbers are odd. The woman and girl with the dog appear in another of my pictures, clearly in almost the same spot, and above them is an oval metal house number that I suggest says '83', making it the sixth property back from the junction.
My assumption was that the railway was being seen along the line of Park Road whereas it is possible that it was visible over the top of buildings on the west side. Modern StreetView images don't help here as buildings and vegetation change over the years and the image on the slide is lacks detail in the distance.
Thanks!

Also the map is c1950, and destruction of Birmingham buildings had already started by the time of the photographs, so all the buildings on the map were not necessarily there at the time of the photo

thanks.i have been looking,at them. bit better coaches now :laughing:
I was hoping to find the first owner of UTT 520 a Devon Registered vehicle, Embankment of Plymouth only ever had one coach that was Devon Registered as opposed to being Plymouth registered, but they had a lot of SB3s in the fleet. However the bus in the picture that interested me was the one between the OB and the SB, any of you bus experts any suggestions? Certainly the coach company seemed to be one that used second hand units. But what a collection of evocative and time remembering pictures.

Bob

The two supermarkets and Boots are, probably, the only names to be seen there now - that is if the shopping centre still exists! ;)

Back