• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newtons Coach Company. Franchise Street.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
:confused: Can anyone remember the name of the coach company in Franchise street Perry Barr?. My nans garden used to face their big brick wall. That's it in the background. :confused: Bye. Jean.

Newtons coach co.

:grinsmile: Thanks Colin. I've been trying to remember ever since I found some old photo's of my nan and myself. That's me the older child. When I stayed at my nans the coaches used to wake me up in the morning. Bye for now. Jean. ps Did you know anyone from the street?.

Jean, Here is a photo of the only Newton's coach to be kept and run when Bowen's took them over in 1964.
(It's a 1962 Bedford. Two other Newton's coaches went over to Bowen's subsidery company, Arnold's Coaches at Tamworth).
Mike

Thanks for that Mike. When I stayed with nan they used to keep us awake half the night valleting the coaches and their bright lights shone into the bedrooms. [Boxes]. Jean.

You'd be glad of them lights soon Jean. They were probably brighter than the things we'll be forced to use soon and look how many shillings it saved your Nan in the meter :smile2:
Mike

That's true Mike. They used to have their radio on all night too it has brought back some memories. Bye. Jnea. [Sorry couldn't resist ] one.

Mike the one thing those lights came in handy for was when you visited the loo at the top of nans yard. Never needed a torch. Jean.

Jean, was those lights bright enough to read the squares of newspaper with string through the corner hanging from a nail in the loo. Used to have outside loo when I lived in Alum Rock and over in Billesley later. Nothing worse than start reading something interesting and couldn't find the square with the rest of it on cos somebody had used it LOL.
Mike

Sure were Mike I could tell you a funny story but about a young man who was reading the paper in the next loo oh fiddle sticks I will anyway. He was looking at a photo of a pretty lady and talking to her apologised for using her picture for you know what. :D:D. I remember sniggering as I was only about twelve years young then. Jean.

JEAN! :dft005: :blush:lol and you only 12!
Can't stop chuckling. As the News of the World used to say 'All human life is here'
Mike

Last edited:
Re: Newtons coach co.

Jean

I was born - and my nan lived - next door to Newtons Coaches at 46 Franchise St. My nan's name was Rose Edwards. What number on Franchise St was your nan's?

Ray

Hi my nan lived at 3/36 Franchise street and if you go back to #1 you will see my nan my cousin myself and the coach company in the background. My nan was Emily [Pemmy] Taplin/Rowley. My cousins lived next door to nan till the houses were demolished. They are Jill and Ann Taplin and they had a best friend by the name of Marie. Their mom and dads names were Norman and Freda. Hope this helps. :thumbsup: TTFN. Jean.

Thanks Jean

I left Franchise St when I was 5. My memories are VERY hazy and I am trying to make sense of what little I can remember. I'm sure my Nan and Mum would remember your people. After all they only lived a few doors away but alas they are both long since gone. I enjoyed your photos.

Ray

Hi, I lived with my parents and grandmother at 44 Franchise Street until early 1960, when the side wall of the house collapsed one sunny day, and we were relocated to Nechells. The house provided the one side of the entrance to what was then Nash's coaches (still going as far as I know). My parents were always complaining about the rent they paid to 'Old Man Nash' !!!

Hi Ditcheat my nan lived at three back of thirty six the other side of the coach company. She was there till the houses were demolished. I am not sure about the Nash's coach company though. Jean.

Nash's coaches were in Raglan Road Smethwick, just off Cape Hill.
Hi Ditcheat my nan lived at three back of thirty six the other side of the coach company. She was there till the houses were demolished. I am not sure about the Nash's coach company though. Jean.

What was the name of the Franchise street company Claribel please. someone did answer the question but I am afraid I have forgot. It will come to me I am sure. Jean

Back