• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Street Station 1967

this is how i last remember it
My last memory is a bit earlier, about 66/67. I was going for an interview for my next stage in education. A girl from school, friend but not a girlfriend, who lived near me, decided to come with me to see me off and wish me luck. Nice thought, but neither of us knew how to handle the situation, with all those entwined couples saying goodbye on the concourse, and I was coming back the same day, then normal school routine. A quick hug sorted it, but it still sticks in the mind. When I came back in the evening, that was the last time I used New Street.
My regular memories are 'trainspotting' there and Snow Hill from earlier times.
Andrew.

My last memory is a bit earlier, about 66/67. I was going for an interview for my next stage in education. A girl from school, friend but not a girlfriend, who lived near me, decided to come with me to see me off and wish me luck. Nice thought, but neither of us knew how to handle the situation, with all those entwined couples saying goodbye on the concourse, and I was coming back the same day, then normal school routine. A quick hug sorted it, but it still sticks in the mind. When I came back in the evening, that was the last time I used New Street.
My regular memories are 'trainspotting' there and Snow Hill from earlier times.
Andrew.
mine too i spent a lot of time on new st station spotting in the 50s60s.more so than snowhill.it was easier to get to,on a train from aston station i think the last time i was there was 1972.

mine too i spent a lot of time on new st station spotting in the 50s60s.more so than snowhill.it was easier to get to,on a train from aston station i think the last time i was there was 1972.
Never thought about that. I had an easy ride on the 29 bus to Snow Hill, New Street was across town. But still a GWR person at heart. I think Brunel and his father were brilliant!

Goodness me...that takes me back to the 1950's...that loco used to be on the Selly Oak ..Bournville.KN line so much, really takes me back to those spotting days for sure...so good to see a colour shot of it...many thanks

Hi,

It's underscored in my ref too, - I was lucky living next to the track at Stechford with a panoramic view.
Looks like it had the shed code 21A for Saltley.

Kind regards
Dave

Sorry to ask , Are you sure this is New Street .

new st station june 1962A.jpg

I stood on that very platform at the old New Street Station, waiting for the trains to come into view to take us on vacation when I was a little lad in the '50s-'60s, so I am pretty darn sure that it is authentic.

Martin

Here is a train entering platform 10 in June 1962, showing some of the station buildings .

View attachment 169818

Here's an old print of New Street Station, that hangs on the wall next to my desk in the corner of our living room, along with the inset information.

Martin

Attachments

• New Street Station.JPG
    New Street Station.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 36
  • New Street Station Inset Information.JPG
    New Street Station Inset Information.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 35
Thank you Mike Gee that print of yours has now convinced me that it is New Street , I will sleep much better tonight now than last night , wonderful picture BTW and the prints , Raggs ;)
New St. Stn. Platform 10.png
;)

Remember the shopping centre over the Station. There were some very long escalators there, I think longer than the norm for the time. Prodorite supplied the floor tiles. I think this area used to have mini exhibitions. Seems to have been known as Birmingham Shopping Centre, didn’t this later change to the Pallasades ?

Viv.
5ECEF4A0-9E2B-443C-9253-C65598E7CC07.jpeg

Last edited:
Remember the shopping centre over the Station. There were some very long escalators there, I think longer than the norm for the time. Prodorite supplied the floor tiles. I think this area used to have mini exhibitions. Seems to have been known as Birmingham Shopping Centre, didn’t this later change to the Palisades ?

Viv.
Those tiles were dangerously slippy in the wet! Saw a few shoppers test gravity there in the winter!

The Pallasades Shopping Centre provides the first point of entry to the City Centre and is situated above New Street Station and commonly regarded as “the gateway to the city”. It opened in 1971 and was formerly known as Birmingham Shopping Centre. It is currently owned by Birmingham City Council, who purchased it on 30 March 2009 from the Agora Max Shopping Centre Fund, a property fund of Warner Estate. It was sold to Agora Max by the previous owners, The Mall, in October 2005. The Pallasades is the place in the city if you are on the look-out for great buys and value for money. The centre has an average weekly footfall of over 250, 000 per week and major names include Claire’s, Footlocker, Holland & Barrett, New Look, Tesco Express, The Carphone Warehouse, The Perfume Shop and many more. The main entrance to the Shopping Centre is from New Street up the ramp, further stores are located on Stephenson Street and the centre has a connection from New Street Station up the escalators into the Pallasades and access to the Bullring link. The Pallasades works closely with the local community and supports a number of initiatives running throughout the year including Local Heroes, Baby of the Year, Schools Awards and events covering key calendar dates. The major transformation of The Pallasades Shopping Centre is now well underway to revamp it into Grand Central Birmingham. The Pallasades will remain open for business during the works and we appreciate your understanding throughout this period of development. Access through the centre will be maintained for pedestrians throughout the works, including access to Birmingham New Street station via escalators. The sort of shops which will be attracted into Grand Central Birmingham will complement those already in Bullring and Mailbox, bringing new shops and restaurants into the heart of the city and making Birmingham city centre the place to find everything you need.

Back