• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Street Station 1967

New Street Station also suffers from the fact that it is an underground station which is why it had a smoking ban after the Kings Cross fire and before all stations had smoking bans. The approach through tunnels from all directions does not help its image.

New street station had a big reconstruction during which the Birmingham shopping center was created (changed its name to the pallasades in the early 80s)the centre opened in 1971 which had escalators from new street station going into the center also had exits to the bridge link bullring,another one to the Midland red bus station and one to st Stephenson street where all the buses stopped it also had escalators and a lift just outside Asda going down to the indoor car park and not forgetting the ramp off course.it was a very busy center as I started working in Asda in 1974 till it closed in 1990.Lots of shops came and went over the years like meb show room.habitat,athenas poster shop,brentford's nylons city butchers,Gino's open restaurant.,fruity fruits,wimbushes cafe,druckers ,2 hair salons one was called Vidal sassoon (which you needed a weeks wage to get your hair done in there)a big model shop I think was called beaties and many more .Yes had many happy years there .

Sugar

I thought New Street shopping centre opened a long time before 1971, as I can remember it in the mid 60's. In fact in 1971/72 we did quite a bit of work in the centre such as knocking out party walls to enlarge some shops. To be quite honest they were some of the only walls we ever had to use pneumatic picks on they were that well built. Another job was removing some large green marble faced plant pots from the centre mall because people used them as rubbish bins. We only left the fountain and one that was converted to a kiosk.

Sugar

I thought New Street shopping centre opened a long time before 1971, as I can remember it in the mid 60's. In fact in 1971/72 we did quite a bit of work in the centre such as knocking out party walls to enlarge some shops. To be quite honest they were some of the only walls we ever had to use pneumatic picks on they were that well built. Another job was removing some large green marble faced plant pots from the centre mall because people used them as rubbish bins. We only left the fountain and one that was converted to a kiosk.
I got the information off wikipedia I put in grand central Birmingham and it gave me this information so have a look you may be right but I dont KNOW!

I agree, that the Pallisades was pre 1971. New Street Station opened in 1967 and the infrastructure for the shopping centre was in place then, as to get to the station, a walk from the ramp at the top of New Street took people to the top of the stairs and escalators down to the concourse and the booking offices. travel centre, the ticket barriers and the newsagents. There were glass door that on both sides of the escalator bottoms that went out to the road link to the Queensway.

It was also possible to walk through the Pallisades during the construction, and pre station opening, to the top of the stairs that led down to Station Street This pedestrian route replaced the bridge that linked Stephenson Street with Station Street and which was a right of way. When New Street was reconstructed again that route still had to be maintained and is now at the original level again.

Not 1967 but 2020.
However, York has some interesting new visitors due to lockdown. I wonder what is happening at New Street?

That is the Stephenson Street side of the station which once had the travel centre and a booking office and there was also the railway hotel.

To get some perspective of the original station an ariel view from the 1930's might be appropriate.

Stephenson Street is on the centre right. The massive overall roof covered the LNWR Platforms and there was a central footbridge that crossed the platforms, Queens Drive and the Midland Railway Platforms towards Station Street.

The LNWR overall roof was lost during the Second World War, but the Midland Railway side retained the roof until demolition.

In this view it is possible to see the office block on the Midland Side of the Station

When the station was rebuilt, the Queens Drive was demolished.

A survivor from these times was the long block of building on Platform 1 which lasted almost to the end of the nationalised railway.

515004.png

I don't remember that block of offices in the centre of the Midland Station and it was only in seeing photos of the demolition work that I know about them. I remember driving into a parcels bay off Station Street to collect and send parcels which wasnext to platform 12 in the 1960s station.

The parcel bay became Red Star parcels, which was British Rail development of sending parcels with the guard/conductor of passenger trains. Here the sender sent a parcel which was delivered direct to the office and collected from a designated station.

Birmingham International, Sutton Coldfield and Sandwell & Dudley all had Red Star parcel offices, and the service was effectively the last vestige of parcels by train. Once the parcels service was an important revenue earner and involved collection and delivery by road.

I always remember using passenger luggage in advance, which was presumably run by the parcels service

Thanks. Yes it was Red Star I was dealing with. I used them when I had to send parcels between our London and Birmingham 0ffices back in the 1970s

Passenger Luggage in Advance was a different service, where luggage was sent on with the hopeful re-uniting with the owner. It was a service offered for those often going on for holiday.

Back