• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Street Station 1967

I am extremely annoyed as my ticket reads as a perfectly valid admission ticket. There is no mention on it to say that it is a lottery or ballot ticket. This is a complete misdescription but I have no idea what we can do about it.

As we have not lost any money, there is no point in complaining to Birmingham Trading Standards.

I am extremely annoyed as my ticket reads as a perfectly valid admission ticket. There is no mention on it to say that it is a lottery or ballot ticket. This is a complete misdescription but I have no idea what we can do about it.

As we have not lost any money, there is no point in complaining to Birmingham Trading Standards.
I think they quietly updated the website first to say it was a ballot and then to say there were 60 places. But you have my sympathy. Stokkie

So was anybody lucky in the draw? Over 7000 of us applied for 60 places it seems!
No - it was a ballot after all, although the tickets did not intimate this - you booked a timeslot and you got what appeared to be a valid ticket - then got an email last Thursday to say we were in a ballot after all. GGGRRRRRR......... Oh well - remember if it is too good to be true it almost certainly is........
So - my apologies Ian & Stokkie - you were right all along!!!!
1679299728928.png
1679299779334.png

Last edited:
Sorry you've been unsuccessful :(
Maybe they will decide to run further tours as they are obviously very popular.

No - it was a ballot after all, although the tickets did not intimate this - you booked a timeslot and you got what appeared to be a valid ticket - then got an email last Thursday to say we were in a ballot after all. GGGRRRRRR......... Oh well - remember if it is too good to be true it almost certainly is........
So - my apologies Ian & Stokkie - you were right all along!!!!
View attachment 178707
View attachment 178708
I was unlucky too (naturally).

Oh well - to drown our collective sorrows (as it appears no-one got a ticket) - I've dug into the negative files and found a wide selection of New St Station photos from the late 70's to mid 80's - many varieties of rolling stock (and weather...)

Firstly - who remembers the destination boards - genuine analogue technology:-
1679701844885.png

Next a selection of Diesel Multiple Units (DMU's) going to a variety of destinations:-
1679701917805.png
1679701947856.png
1679701972291.png
1679702002201.png
1679702035148.png
1679703307841.png
1679703333110.png

Last edited:
great set of photos again mark...thanks for posting them....can anyone name the pub top right of post 219 photo 1

lyn

Mark's photos bring back so many memories. The station platforms were always cold, even in summer. Winter was the worst time waiting there if your train was delayed. Passengers would wait at the top of the escalators on the bridge rather than stand on the cold platforms in winter. Or better still wait in the pub on the bridge, near the ticket barriers ! Viv.

“A feature of 1974 was the number of Western Region Class 52 diesel-hydraulics working into [Birmingham (New Street) on Paddington trains.
On 24 May No. 1068 Western Reliance, having brought in the 09.25 from Paddinaton to Platform 1. prepares to run round.”

Diesels in the west Midlands and central Wales. Bannister, Geoffrey F. Publication date 1975.

IMG_2660.jpeg

“A feature of 1974 was the number of Western Region Class 52 diesel-hydraulics working into [Birmingham (New Street) on Paddington trains.
On 24 May No. 1068 Western Reliance, having brought in the 09.25 from Paddinaton to Platform 1. prepares to run round.”

Diesels in the west Midlands and central Wales. Bannister, Geoffrey F. Publication date 1975.

View attachment 182456
thanks p i have two in oo gauge

Back