• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Street Station 1967

“EE Class 40 D377 resting after its long journey from Glasgow with the daytime Glasgow to Birmingham (New Street) express. A steam-hauled evening commuter train is leaving the adjacent bay platform. JULY 1962.”

(Diesels of the West Midlands and Central Wales.)

IMG_2662.jpeg

“Ex-L.M.S.R. diesel- electric shunter D3839 as station pilot at the old 'New Street' Birmingham in the summer of 1962. The L.N.W.R. signal remained until the station was rebuilt 'some few vears later.”

(Diesels of the West Midlands and Central Wales.)

IMG_2659.jpeg

“Ex-L.M.S.R. diesel- electric shunter D3839 as station pilot at the old 'New Street' Birmingham in the summer of 1962.
Originally D3839 was built at Crewe works and entered traffic in January 1960, allocated to Carnforth MPD. By 1962 it had transferred to the Birmingham area initially at Monument Lane MPD and then Bescot (where it would remain until withdrawn in 1993) when Monument Lane closed. It became 08 672 under the British Rail TOPS coding and was never an LMS loco. It was broken up by Gwent Demolition at Margam in January 1994.

Lloyd, there are a few inaccuracies in transport related books mainly due to the research done though Wikipedia and the internet.
Thank goodness that the Wythall books are well researched and the have a West Midlands content.

Yes I agree the class 08 was not made for the London, Midland & Scottish Railway. Derby did make a number of diesel electric shunters for use on the LMS, but these were numbered differently by British Rail

And yes the Wikepedia data has its faults.

Back