• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Street Station From1854

That "wagon train" in photo 2 is really interesting, the leading "vehicle" is obviously battery electric operated with a platform for the driver and a tiller to steer. As it's carrying number 9 it's probably safe to assume there were at least 8 others. It would be interesting to know more of its history.

Simon

Two fantastic photos Ragga! Makes you realise how time's moved on. Milk churns and the horse drawn milk float, packages tied with string, steam trains, signals that moved up and down and made a clanking noise ...... the photo with the schoolboy looks quite wistful. I wonder if he was arriving or departing for boarding school? Enjoyed these two photos very much. Thanks Ragga. Viv.

Would be interesting if anyone has photos of the Mail being moved along the platforms, there was an underground tunnel from the Sorting Office and the amount of Mail must have colossal. Bernard

That "wagon train" in photo 2 is really interesting, the leading "vehicle" is obviously battery electric operated with a platform for the driver and a tiller to steer. As it's carrying number 9 it's probably safe to assume there were at least 8 others. It would be interesting to know more of its history.

Simon
no one mentioned the bikes in transit, our early GPO bikes were made by the Coop, Bernard

Yes Dave, I believe thats where they were made, didnt do any cycle
duties in Brum but when I transfered to Burton on Trent in 1957 all
the second deliveries were done on bikes, I must have been fit in those faroff days, Bernard

Hi

Great Pictures from the Famous Michael Mensing of New Street Platform 7.
I would hurtle down or up from Platform 2 (stechford) along the Bridge to 7 and down the Steps. In those days a Seperate Ticket Office for the old Midland Railway operated. It was situated on the edge of Queens Drive and Platform 7. I got my Ticket to Tamworth around 7/- for the Day.
I can still smell the Old Midland Railway. Wonderful days.

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• scan0011 - Copy.jpg
    scan0011 - Copy.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • scan0011.jpg
    scan0011.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
We went fishing to Tamworth a couple of times. It would be an early morning train caught at Saltley Stn. Two or three old coaches with no inter compartment connection and pulled by a Duck six I think...well a six anyway just three connected wheels on each side and no bogies.

Two fabulus photo's Mike, takes me back, as you say they invoke the unique smells, and tastes, of steam days, "The old blood and custard" of our youth.
paul

Takes me back too. I remember the excitement as the train rolled in to New St as I came home on leave.
(And the gloom going back to camp !).

Here are a few photo's of New Street & Northfield stations taken with my 'Box Brownie' in the 1950's.Sorry for the poor quality but they may be of interest.s.jpg

Re: The (new ) New Street Station

The roof was damaged and shaken in wartime bombing, but after the war it was found to be unsafe and was dismantled in 1947. (from Century of Railways around birmingham vol 1)

Hi

This went past my eyes the other day. Its the closing down of a Cafe.
I cant remember much of the facilities.
I will keep trying interesting isn't it.

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• 1451386_1048607868488796_3905037627390615635_n.jpg
    1451386_1048607868488796_3905037627390615635_n.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 76
In Mike's photo the sign above the door is " ......... and waiting room". Definitely looks like a former railway service. And the light in the photo looks like it's an interior shot, like it could be inside a covered station. And there are cups on the windowsill outside the cafe. So someone must have had a quick cuppa in the shelter of the station and dashed for their train. Viv.

Back