• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Street City Centre Birmingham

From here Richard. Viv.

Attachments

• 646AEB79-1C58-456F-9144-39C5F09512D6.jpeg
    646AEB79-1C58-456F-9144-39C5F09512D6.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 23
This 1829 drawing doesn’t seem to have been posted before. Looks like the artist drew this view from the junction with High Street, looking along New Street towards Christ Church.

The stagecoach seems to have stopped to the left, so must have been an inn there (on the corner ?), hence the barrels (name of Phillips above the door). Presumably the road to the left was a continuation of High Street, leading to and joining Digbeth and the markets. To the right would be High Street leading to Dale End. Viv.

View attachment 142580
Hi Vivienne. I can see this drawing was a full page illustration. Do you know which book it comes from?

Hi Richard this is the eBay description:

Publication “A new and complete history of the county of warwick " by william smith and published by william emans of birmingham in 1829 . the engraving itself measures 4.1/4 " -- 6 " and the page measures 7.1/2 " -- 10".

Viv.

Hi Richard this is the eBay description:

Publication “A new and complete history of the county of warwick " by william smith and published by william emans of birmingham in 1829 . the engraving itself measures 4.1/4 " -- 6 " and the page measures 7.1/2 " -- 10".

Viv.
Thanks. A copy of the drawing appears as an in-text illustration in RK Dent's (1894) 'Making of Birmingham' where it has the more vague title: 'Lower end of New Street, about 1800.'

New Street under lock down. Cafes, cinemas, bars, restaurants, gyms etc all closed down.

Flowers for Mothers Day but no one will be going to restaurants tomorrow.

Costa and Odeon are closed. I think some Costa's are now take away only. Odeon actually closed down by Wednesday I think.

Towards the Burlington Hotel.

EL
New Street under lock down. Cafes, cinemas, bars, restaurants, gyms etc all closed down.

Flowers for Mothers Day but no one will be going to restaurants tomorrow.

Costa and Odeon are closed. I think some Costa's are now take away only. Odeon actually closed down by Wednesday I think.

Towards the Burlington Hotel.

Ell, great photos! What kind of store is Burtons?

Thank you!

Two postcards will appear here from my collection which have been improved by RobT as my own system was down thanks to Windows 10 updates. RobT kindly dealt with the scans I sent him, returned them to me but no way can I reproduce them on this post. They are both of New Street and the one has been actually dated by the sender as 8/12/05 (1905), from the design of the postcard, it is a split back which means it was published after 1903, but it has the white space at the bottom which was used prior to 1903 for the message and address only on the back, but as with all postcards, te postmark does not reflect the topographical location it was postmarked 0830 am 8 Dec Malvern and sent to South Norwood. The 1 Barceldine is obviously the address in Malvern as the writer advises that they have returned home and their colds are better. Unfortunately I cannot tell the publisher as the sender has written over the name which looks like Town and Country. Perhaps someone knows who they are.
The coloured card is unused, but is pre WW1 as it was printed in Bavaria, the publisher was GD&DL, but on the front is copyright FF&Co which was Francis Frith (Photographer & original publisher). The odd thing about it is that the location is not in the usual Frith script. A local postcard historian may have more information. It is known that often local publisher used Frith photographs and put their own name on them.
One of the lessons for all the BHF cycling fraternity is that Boaters were OK to be worn on the bike and looking at the cyclist in the lead with the south of france handlebars and using the middle of the handlebars grip....no it can't be, it's Old Brit in one of his early races.

Pictures to appear later

Bob

Two postcards will appear here from my collection which have been improved by RobT as my own system was down thanks to Windows 10 updates. RobT kindly dealt with the scans I sent him, returned them to me but no way can I reproduce them on this post. They are both of New Street and the one has been actually dated by the sender as 8/12/05 (1905), from the design of the postcard, it is a split back which means it was published after 1903, but it has the white space at the bottom which was used prior to 1903 for the message and address only on the back, but as with all postcards, the postmark does not reflect the topographical location it was postmarked 0830 am 8 Dec Malvern and sent to South Norwood. The 1 Barceldine is obviously the address in Malvern as the writer advises that they have returned home and their colds are better. Unfortunately I cannot tell the publisher as the sender has written over the name which looks like Town and Country. Perhaps someone knows who they are.
The coloured card is unused, but is pre WW1 as it was printed in Bavaria, the publisher was GD&DL, but on the front is copyright FF&Co which was Francis Frith (Photographer & original publisher). The odd thing about it is that the location is not in the usual Frith script. A local postcard historian may have more information. It is known that often local publisher used Frith photographs and put their own name on them.
One of the lessons for all the BHF cycling fraternity is that Boaters were OK to be worn on the bike and looking at the cyclist in the lead with the south of france handlebars and using the middle of the handlebars grip....no it can't be, it's Old Brit in one of his early races.

Pictures to appear later

Bob
These are the Bob Davis scans,

birmingham-pcR.jpg
birmingham2R2.jpg

Viv, I don't think you can date it to the construction of the Rotunda. I think it is after 1964 as the bus stops have gone from New Street after the opening of the Midland Red Bus Station in 1964. Also no scaffolding is shown. The round tower of the Rotunda stands on a podium which rises above the first floor so I think it is out of sight on this photo.
Have a look at this photo which was taken in December 1964.
1597654608481.png
I found this on Facebook and I have kept a copy because of the significance of the round Midland Red bus stop sign which was used only in Birmingham.

I wonder if the posts the Midland Red used for their stop signs had to be paid for, either to the BCT or highways people? It was a post WW2 thing, probably around 1948/50 I guess, when introduced to Midland Red. HOV 721 (1721), one of the lovely Leyland PD2's, seems to be pretty empty. I guess most passengers had got off in the Bull Ring or at the stop there. It would soon load again in Corporation Street and outside Greys store.

Birmingham Corporation erected all the bus stops within the city boundary for both the Corporation buses and Midland Red buses so they used the standard Birmingham Corporation post but substituted a round Midland Red flag. Normally Midland Reds inbound into the city stopped at Corporation stops but had their own stops outbound. I think this stop was because it was alighting only as it was the last stop with Midland Reds then turning right into New Street to load for routes to Walsall and Sutton Coldfield. By 1964 the Midland Red bus station would have been built so the terminus would be just one more stop to the bus station so no one would wait for a bus here.

This shows the junction of New Street with High Street. You can just see the Rotunda/Lloyd’s Bank to the left. The Rotunda looks to be under construction so it dates the image between 1961-1965. Viv.

View attachment 147558
Interesting, how many times the postcards of the nmain streets of the City Centre feature Midland Red Buses.
Viv, I don't think you can date it to the construction of the Rotunda. I think it is after 1964 as the bus stops have gone from New Street after the opening of the Midland Red Bus Station in 1964. Also no scaffolding is shown. The round tower of the Rotunda stands on a podium which rises above the first floor so I think it is out of sight on this photo.
View attachment 147562
I found this on Facebook and I have kept a copy because of the significance of the round Midland Red bus stop sign which was used only in Birmingham.
1721, Wellhead Lane Garage looking very clean and shiny, can be dated by appearance of the advert tween decks, can anyone remember the filla fella fulla Fyffes? I cannot and is the lighter car on view the original Ford Consul?
I wonder if the posts the Midland Red used for their stop signs had to be paid for, either to the BCT or highways people? It was a post WW2 thing, probably around 1948/50 I guess, when introduced to Midland Red. HOV 721 (1721), one of the lovely Leyland PD2's, seems to be pretty empty. I guess most passengers had got off in the Bull Ring or at the stop there. It would soon load again in Corporation Street and outside Greys store.
Mr Tom Wall was an Inspector for BCT who lived in Court Lane, I remember him telling my Dad, that it was a City request to standardise the bus stops in the City, but shortly afterwards the City moved to their new style bus stop, where the actual plate did not sit on top of the pole, but was wrapped in part of the pole, poor way of describing it, but I have not had time to search for a picture.
Bob

View attachment 147562

I thought I could see scaffolding and a ladder bottom left. Would the scaffolding have been for Lloyds Bank underneath then ? Maybe it was in the process of being taken down.

Mr Tom Wall was an Inspector for BCT who lived in Court Lane, I remember him telling my Dad, that it was a City request to standardise the bus stops in the City, but shortly afterwards the City moved to their new style bus stop, where the actual plate did not sit on top of the pole, but was wrapped in part of the pole, poor way of describing it, but I have not had time to search for a picture.
Bob

I think you are referring to this type of bus stop from a Phyllis Nicklin photo in Moseley
1597675250451.png
You will notice that this is the old type of white on blue sign. Later signs had blue on white. The actual post I particularly remember of this shape was near where I lived as a boy and what was odd to me was that it was on the 201 Midland Red bus route which crossed over the city boundary onto the Worlds End Estate in Quinton. In Smethwick and Oldbury on the main part of its route, there were standard Midland Red concrete posts with a square Midland Red flag.

I suggested in another thread, a while ago, that I believe the newer style bus stop top, housing the sign, possibly came about as it was to enable the pillar/post of the sign to be placed nearer the kerb allowing less obstruction on the pavements.
The posts were the same it was the top housing that was different. The previous post 319 shows it well.

Back