• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Street City Centre Birmingham

That’s interesting Richard. The horses and carriage seem to be turning left between the Hotel and the early King Edwards School building. What was that road/passageway ? I think there’s still a passageway, but quite small. Wonder if it gave access to stabling at the rear of the Hotel ? Viv.

That’s interesting Richard. The horses and carriage seem to be turning left between the Hotel and the early King Edwards School building. What was that road/passageway ? I think there’s still a passageway, but quite small. Wonder if it gave access to stabling at the rear of the Hotel ? Viv.
The 1888 ordnance survey map shows a large open area behind the hotel. This photo of the Hen and Chickens shows the passageway from New Street. So possibly it was access to a courtyard or stables behind the hotel.New Street Hen and Chickens Hotel c.late 19C .jpg

Can anyone place this 1874 drawing of the royal party in New Street ? Can’t work out where exactly it would have been. There’s a #45 , #46 and #47 shown in the drawing but it doesn’t ring any bells. Viv.

28FF57BB-2516-44F7-A4F3-0F4243E4B2F1.jpeg

The 1876 Kellys shows no 45 as John Pulsford (slightly different from on the drawing). It is on the north side,between Needless Alley and Temple St. However the numbering facing the buildings in real life is going up from right to left , not left to right, as in the drawing !!. Not sure therefore you can put much on the accuracy of the productioin

I do wonder about these drawings Mike. There are many state visits to Birmingham recorded with drawings in the Graphic, the London Illustrated News etc and I can’t imagine an illustrator being able to portray the street with such accuracy to meet the short deadline for the newspaper. Maybe some illustrators could, but I bet most couldn’t. Viv.

Anyone that visits the BBC News website will find that most, if not all, the images are stock photos from a big agency and are there 'merely' to illustrate the story, (or push an agenda, if you are sceptical), they weren't actually taken at the scene and time of the story.

Could this be the equivalent? The London-based illustrator knows what a royal parade looks like, including a typical city street. All they have to do is dig out the appropriate street directory to add a bit of local 'authenticity'! Perhaps the same plate has been re-worked for other visits to other cities!

Scruton’s tailor’s shop in 1909 - on New Street at the junction with Ethel Street. The building seems to still be there but the frontage has changed over time (modern view attached). The full article is attached below. Viv.

797FB9BC-364C-4065-83D7-9C9ADFD9ECAB.jpeg

Attachments

• 154D81FD-DAB0-425E-B4A2-8E533296DA46.jpeg
    154D81FD-DAB0-425E-B4A2-8E533296DA46.jpeg
    630.5 KB · Views: 29
  • F9EFB2E7-D50C-4E34-8E44-48F5A5856178.jpeg
    F9EFB2E7-D50C-4E34-8E44-48F5A5856178.jpeg
    815.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 1A1E017B-8A7D-4C1D-AC36-FD5ADE8450C6.jpeg
    1A1E017B-8A7D-4C1D-AC36-FD5ADE8450C6.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 25
King Edward House on New Street. It might get turned into a hotel. Was built in 1936-7. Replacing King Edward's School of 1552 - 1936 (including Charles Barry's school buildings of 1833-7).

how crazy...they demolish this wonderful building(king edward school) to replace it with the building above...i bet the school would have made a smashing hotel...king edward school new st.jpg

The chapel of King Edward's School was moved to the Edgbaston site. Other bits and pieces may have moved to Edgbaston as well.

Seen in 2008

Apparently the old building was "a fire risk".

What a gem Hyam’s store must have been. This was an architectural drawing from 1859. It must have been a very large tailors store. Or maybe it effectively became a very early department store. If I’ve worked this out correctly it must have stood somewhere opposite the Odeon ? Viv..

Attachments

• C7FBCD55-4399-4F54-9D17-19CF1A6820C8.jpeg
    C7FBCD55-4399-4F54-9D17-19CF1A6820C8.jpeg
    516.1 KB · Views: 17
What a gem Hyam’s store must have been. This was an architectural drawing from 1859. It must have been a very large tailors store. Or maybe it effectively became a very early department store. If I’ve worked this out correctly it must have stood somewhere opposite the Odeon ? Viv..
The building was located at 20-24 New Street at the junction of New Street with Union Passage. Hyam's occupied Nos. 21-3. Hyams closed sometime in the 1920s and the building was taken over by Hornes Bros. The building was demolished in the 1950s.
(Information from Roy Thornton's 'Lost Buildings of Birmingham,' (2009) p9)

Last edited:
Just found this one skulking in my Folder marked New Street......and I don't think for one minute it is!! .....but am very confused as to exactly where this is...Corporation Street more likely?, or Bull St/Martineau Street as outsiders?? Any one got any other contenders...I am fairly sure it is in Brum...but may even be wrong on that.!!

21768593_2072110726355021_3811420702294736974_o.jpg

Dennis,
Post 230 of the following thread has this photo and subsequent posts comment about it.

Dennis,
Post 230 of the following thread has this photo and subsequent posts comment about it.

Doh...so sorry...I am a ditz of the highest order....of course it's New Street...King Eddies school tower on right....thanks for being so kind about my howler..!! Mea Culpa....some lots....!

We see so many photos on BHF, Dennis, many already posted in other threads or earlier dated ones in long threads. Mostly our memories recall them - particularly if there is something of interest to us, or catches our imagination.
However, you are easily absolved - most of us get senior moments: in fact a day is not complete without a least one. :laughing:

Dennis,
Curious how you can locate a print from another thread so quickly.

New Street this morning before 9:30am before the shops or street vendors had opened up. A lot of the shops both sides have new glass frontages. Including on the old Big Top side.

Back