• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Street City Centre Birmingham

It's like this, this year. Paved and with tracks. In Victoria Square leaving Pinfold Street.

Overpriced beer and bratwurst, and stupid trinkets, load of rubbish, watched them putting it up, all Germans with different coloured hard hats, ie. small chocolate lollipop £7.

Overpriced beer and bratwurst, and stupid trinkets, load of rubbish, watched them putting it up, all Germans with different coloured hard hats, ie. small chocolate lollipop £7.
There was a programme on last year that said alot of the stalls buy there German named products from aldi and sell them on their STALLS!!! No doubt at triple the cost they have bought them for.

Last edited:
My sister is usually in Germany at this time of year and buys Stollen for me at a fraction of the price that it is sold in the German Market in Birmingham. Unfortunately she has not been this year. Will have to look out in Aldi.

My sister is usually in Germany at this time of year and buys Stollen for me at a fraction of the price that it is sold in the German Market in Birmingham. Unfortunately she has not been this year. Will have to look out in Aldi.

I went once in the early days , never again umpteen stalls selling the same stuff at over the top prices

during the past few years ive been once in the day and once at night...nice atmosphere but i would not put myself out to visit again

Last edited:
Think Independents are complaining on Twitter about the BFCM. I only get the photos. Wouldn't buy anything there. Also it's quite early this year.

hi ell at least parts of the city centre that looks like a ghost town will have a tad more life to it for a few weeks...back to normal though after christmas...shame...oh thats what i meant to ask you...do you know if they are using st philips churchyard to erect some of the market stalls as they did last year ? thanks ell

lyn

I think it was the craft fair that was in St Philip's Church yard last year. I walked through the church yard this evening and there were no sign of any stalls being built. However remember that the German market has started 2 weeks early this year so there would still be time for the craft market.

Many places seem to encourage markets - from traders usually outside the area. When most 'high streets' are finding times hard and many shutting up I find it surprising. No wonder local traders are disgruntled.
It is not unique to the UK. I am aware of an American city in Indiana that holds a 'European' market most Saturdays. It starts around 7 am. I believe that, also, is not unique I understand.

Alan,

Here in Crete it seems that the markets have lost their appeal and the prices are no better than the supermarkets on food, whilst the rest of the stuff is mainly cheap tat. All the good sellers with the real leather bags or something really different stopped attending about five years ago. We stopped going too.

Maurice :cool:

hi ell at least parts of the city centre that looks like a ghost town will have a tad more life to it for a few weeks...back to normal though after christmas...shame...oh thats what i meant to ask you...do you know if they are using st philips churchyard to erect some of the market stalls as they did last year ? thanks ell

lyn

No not this year. Just the Remembrance service tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be raining like it is now.

Alan,

Here in Crete it seems that the markets have lost their appeal and the prices are no better than the supermarkets on food, whilst the rest of the stuff is mainly cheap tat. All the good sellers with the real leather bags or something really different stopped attending about five years ago. We stopped going too.

Maurice :cool:
Maurice, I think its going that way most everywhere! Although we do have a Farmers Market in Franklin TN, mainly farmers produce that is very good but can be little if you are not careful.

The drawing makes New Street look relatively flat. Even Christ Church in the distance doesn't look very elevated. Maybe it's an illusion created by the generally lower buildings. Viv.o
The drawing in post 600961 by Vivienne14 is New Street. Note the Hen and Chickens Hotel in left foreground. Here's another view of the same building from a print of a Samuel Lines 1833 drawing published in RK Dent's 'Making of Birmingham' p336, 1894.
New St Hen and Chickens Hotel by Samuel Lines 1833 in Dent RK - Making of Birmingham p336 1894.jpeg

Back