• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Street City Centre Birmingham

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
I think this is the right place for this :-\

In the 1920s, Charlie "Ruby" Sparks, a London gangster together with friends unknown, drove down New Street in Birmingham, got out of the car and threw a brick through the window of a jewellers shop.
He reached inside and removed most of the contents of the shop window.
Unfortunately, as they made their escape they killed a female pedestrian.
He dissapeared for such a long time that a positive identification was impossible.
This was the first ever "Smash and Grab" ever carried out. ;)

can anyone tell me what sort of shop was at 25-30 new street birmingham in 1881? by some of the job descriptions im guessing at a drapery store but it might have sold other things as well. one of my relations was a clerk there. by the 1891 census he was in london as a drapers clerk. any info would be great.

hi john,thanks for the quick reply:).it must have been a big establishment as theres loads of workers on the census.do you happen to know how long the establishmen was there for? the relation who worked there came from worcester so how he got to be there heaven knows.patx

25 to 30 Holliday William & Co. linen
drapers, silk mercers, haberdashers,
Hosiers, carpet factors, upholsterers,
undertakers &c. (Warwick house)

The first picture on https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?p=126390 shows Warwick house, and you can see Hollidays on the fascia. also there is the engraving below, presumably a bit earlier
mike

original_Warwick_House.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for that,what a lovely building i suppose they expanded when they started doing funerals and carpets etc.perhaps even in those days they had the need to diversify.patx

between 1868 & 1872 changed to Holliday previous owner Hyams
Holliday William, silk mercer, draper, and
Carpet factor, Warwick house, 28, 29, and
30, New st.; h. Belle Field, Ga. Knave's end

Last edited:
Warwick House, later Marshall & Snelgrove's from John's print, was bombed during the Second World War, what a pity. I remember a rebuilt M & S, in the 1960s but it wasn't in the same class, and didn't last very long.

Mike that's a wonderful print such a grand looking building. What a shame it was bombed.I loved Marshall and Snelgrove not that I could afford to buy much there.:(

hi everyone,thanks for all that info,i can remember my grandmother mentioning going to marshall and snellgrove on her shopping trips.later trips were to john lewis so either her pockets were not so deep or marshall and snellgrove had closed.

Patx
It would have been Lewis's, not John Lewis, that she went to. A firm that un fortunately now does not exist except in a truncated form in liverpool

a couple of these buildings sort of look familar so could someone tell me what end of 75 new street was please....note the horse manure in the middle of the road...

lyn

dont know why but the last couple of days i click on pics posted but they will not enlarge...hope you are having better luck folks...

lyn

Is the building with the portico'ed frontage the old Midland Hotel, now Waterstone's Book Shop?

Big Gee

Big Gee

I think the building you are referring to is Birmingham Royal Society of Artists, who I now think are located somewhere in St Pauls Square.

Phil

I think PMC is right and if the left hand end of the picture were extended then Christ Church would be visible at that time maybe. So it is the west end of New Street possibly. I think that the passage way up to Waterloo St. can be made out between two buiding fronts. I am not sure that 75 is the street No. It seems to me that 75 now is at the other end of New Street close to High Street.

Ive had tgo drasticaly reduce ths pic but I think it proves the point

Back