• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

NewStreet Birmingham

P

patx

can anyone tell me what sort of shop was at 25-30 new street birmingham in 1881? by some of the job descriptions im guessing at a drapery store but it might have sold other things as well. one of my relations was a clerk there. by the 1891 census he was in london as a drapers clerk. any info would be great.

P

patx

hi john,thanks for the quick reply:).it must have been a big establishment as theres loads of workers on the census.do you happen to know how long the establishmen was there for? the relation who worked there came from worcester so how he got to be there heaven knows.patx

gingerjon

master brummie
25 to 30 Holliday William & Co. linen
drapers, silk mercers, haberdashers,
Hosiers, carpet factors, upholsterers,
undertakers &c. (Warwick house)

P

patx

thanks for that,what a lovely building i suppose they expanded when they started doing funerals and carpets etc.perhaps even in those days they had the need to diversify.patx

gingerjon

master brummie
between 1868 & 1872 changed to Holliday previous owner Hyams
Holliday William, silk mercer, draper, and
Carpet factor, Warwick house, 28, 29, and
30, New st.; h. Belle Field, Ga. Knave's end

Last edited:

sylviasayers

master brummie
Warwick House, later Marshall & Snelgrove's from John's print, was bombed during the Second World War, what a pity. I remember a rebuilt M & S, in the 1960s but it wasn't in the same class, and didn't last very long.

W

Wendy

Mike that's a wonderful print such a grand looking building. What a shame it was bombed.I loved Marshall and Snelgrove not that I could afford to buy much there.:(

P

patx

hi everyone,thanks for all that info,i can remember my grandmother mentioning going to marshall and snellgrove on her shopping trips.later trips were to john lewis so either her pockets were not so deep or marshall and snellgrove had closed.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Patx
It would have been Lewis's, not John Lewis, that she went to. A firm that un fortunately now does not exist except in a truncated form in liverpool

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Struggling to work out exactly on New Street where this photo was taken. Can anyone tell me please? Viv.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327095566.124565.jpg

sistersue61

master brummie
Not sure Viv, could it be looking down New Street towards its junction with Corporation Street?
I would guess someone will have a much more accurate answer though.
Sue

Phil

Retired Layabout
It was taken from just about where the Rotunda would be now, the junction of what was Worcester St and New Street.

Phil

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everyone. That's very helpful. Now I can just about make out the curve of the shops on the right which must be, as Sue says, the turning into Corporation Street. Viv.

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
"Cleaning up" my documents on new computer I came across this cutting from 16th April 1934 which I'd like to share. I have to apologise that a) I don't know the name of the paper and b) I can't remember where I found it. Probably on this forum (?), if so I apologise for not giving credit to the original poster!

New_Street_when_new.jpg

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI DAVID
I can recall new street station being rebuilt inmy life span three time up till now ;
i there saying in the future that some where in the youngers of today they will see changes as welll as they get older
but i expext there is some members of the public whom are still with us can say they have seen the change of the new street four times in there life
i can,t wait to see the finish of this time around ;of our new station ; best wishes astonian

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
Morning Astonian, I hope you'll enjoy being the first to see it changed 4 times in a lifetime.

regards
David