• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

NewSt Station 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the 1st pic which is a link to a pic in post#326, I wondered at the time whether the 'ceiling' over the tracks would remain dark. Looking at the other pic from the video, it seems they are going to brighten it up by painting it white and lighting it ... or are they ?
20571393223_131c038256.jpg
Platform.JPG

Mike - we live in hope!! I passed through New Street on a train a few days ago and although there were improvements from my last visit it didn't look like the Youtube film!!!!!

Judy

I think the bright, light and airy aspects are to be found above the railway part of New Street. The pic (left) by Old Mohawk of some platforms is reminiscent of parts of the London District Line - particularly the stations between Tower Hill and Westminster.

This website gives a plan of the new station if you click on the pdf download.

https://www.londonmidland.com/your-journey/journey-planning/Birmingham-New-St-redevelopment/

In the old days I used to tell people to meet me at the barriers. Now with 7 gate lines that is no longer possible.

As the footbridge was brought back into use a little while ago purely to relieve the pressure on the broken down escalators I assumed that it was only a temporary measure but it looks as if this is a permanent feature.

Hmm,

Pedantic me thinks a little artistic license has been employed else passengers may be asked in future to lend a hand by pushing the electric Pendolinos out of the platforms and back under the wires.

That is in addition to a daily jet washing of all white shiny surfaces to remove the day's coating of diesel particulates.

The Navigation Street Footbridge will be exit only when the main concourse opens at the weekend. So you will have to enter the station to get to the A and B platforms.

Sometimes there is queues on the Cross City Line, or other lines, in the tunnels, waiting to get to the platform.

Looks like all the money has been spent on all ABOVE New Street Station, and not on the Station,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,pity.

next time.

Most travellers like meself just want decent trains and punctality and a safe journey,they are not bothered about white painted ceilings which are going to get dirty by diesel fumes.

Dave, you mean the platforms are still dark and dreary. Too bad if they are. I did notice that they have lifts down to each platform now. I won't have to accost strong men to carry my cases down and up when I visit. Or look for the freight lifts which were hidden away in dark and remote areas of some platforms.

I expect Brummies will still refer to the Railway Station as New Street Station and not Grand Central Station as the large sign says.

Dave, you mean the platforms are still dark and dreary. Too bad if they are. I did notice that they have lifts down to each platform now. I won't have to accost strong men to carry my cases down and up when I visit. Or look for the freight lifts which were hidden away in dark and remote areas of some platforms.

Will see next time up there, the Station has always been to me is the Platforms and the Tracks,

not a shopping area above

I expect Brummies will still refer to the Railway Station as New Street Station and not Grand Central Station as the large sign says.
I thought Grand Central =shopping area =Pallisades. The railway station is New Street, although I don't think it has ever had an entrance directly from New Street.

Some snaps I took of the platform area when I visited in August. Much brighter than I remember these parts of the station. Viv.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I thought Grand Central =shopping area =Pallisades. The railway station is New Street, although I don't think it has ever had an entrance directly from New Street.

Yeah Grand Central is the new shopping centre replacing The Pallasades

This used to be in the temporary tunnel in August 2013

November 2014 - it's changed a bit since then

Seen in May 2015

Platform photos - went to the new look station, having caught a train from Stechford.

Platform 3A

Media eye from below

Does this look like more light at platform level?

My train from Stechford on the left

Escalator had a queue so took the steps

What was Queens Drive

Path to left blocked off so back inside

The out and down the Southside Steps

Hill Street media eye - Team GB

Up Hill Street to Victoria Square

Some finishing touches still needed

Navigation Street junction

Swallow Street view

Victoria Square / Pinfold Street view

Masses on the BBC Breakfast show this morning of the New Street Station concourse. Interview with Digby Jones; Birmingham showing itself to be a "powerhouse"; something for which normally diffident Brummies can be very proud etc. Looking forward to seeing it myself, perhaps in November. Dave.

It may look wonderful, but with overcrowded trains, and questionable services, will it be any better for train passengers?

Eddie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back