• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Humorous And Interesting Newspaper Stories about Birmingham

The chap on the left is saying to the chap in the middle 'this is your lot is it?' to which the chap in the middle replies 'never seen them before', the MD says 'so somebody must know something' and the chap on the far left is saying 'ask me, ask me, my grandson made them at nursery school after watching Anthea Turner on Blue Peter'

3 eyed calf born
A three-eyed calf has been rehomed in Leicester and renamed after a Hindu god after an animal sanctuary bought the animal, believed to be 'special', from a Welsh farmer.

The unusual-looking calf made headlines in May after a vet who was testing animals on the North Wales farm came across the animal.
Reports of the vet's discovery caught the attention of an animal welfare charity, Jain Animal Sanctuary, which then pledged to purchase the cow.
The charity, which provides funding to sanctuaries in the UK and internationally, purchased the cow for a total of £5,000 after weeks of negotiations with its previous owner.
Nitin Mehta, who founded the Jain Animal Sanctuary said: "Because the cow had three eyes we thought he was special and we wanted to rescue him because like all of these animals, he would have ended up being slaughtered eventually."
The calf has now been rehomed locally at a Sanctuary called Goshalla in Leicester, based in the Charnwood village, Beeby.
Goshalla in Leicester's ethos is based around the Hindu principle that all living creatures are important and deserving of equal respect and that cows, in particular, are considered sacred within the religion.
Nitin Mehta who helped the Sanctuary purchase the calf said its three eyes were also "especially significant" as it shared a characteristic of the Hindu god, Shiva.

Surely related to the sewer gas lamp story. From the Guardian article I don't understand how burning methane 'removes 630kg of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere' as burning methane produces carbon dioxide and water. (I have a sneaking suspicion that just leaving the 'poo' on the ground ends up with the same chemical result but without all the apparatus).

I think that is the point Spargone. If it is converted into fuel it produces as much , about , of CO2, but it also produces energy which, at present, might be produced by burning natural gas or something. If it decomposes it still produces CO2 but more, at present ,would then be produced from other fuels to provide the energy that came from the poop

Last edited:
I think that is the point Spargone. If it is converted into fuel it produces as much , about , of CO2, but it also produces energy which, at present, might be produced by burning natural gas or something. If it decomposes it still produces CO2 but more, at present ,would then be produced from other fuels to provide the energy that came from the poop
So they go to the trouble of expense, energy use, carbon dioxide emissions etc. to produce a bit of hardware that will give the light of a candle! A lot easier, and better for the environment, just to let the slugs and worms get on with it!

Warship Week…Birmingham Gazette November 1941…Smethwick and Sutton Coldfield adopt Warships HMS Hermione and Wanderer.

Birmingham adopted HMS King George V.

0B70ECDE-B9BB-4AC1-9329-ED49F8D130A6.jpeg

On 16 June 1942, Hermione was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U-205 in the Mediterranean. Eighty-eight crewmembers and the ship's cat, 'Convoy', were killed.

The Wanderer was decommissioned after the war and sold for scrap in 1946.

On 1 May 1942 the destroyer HMS Punjabi sank after a collision with King George V in foggy conditions. Became a training battleship in November 1947.

Back