• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newspapers : Graphic newspaper 1886

O

O.C.

Wonderful picture taken from the Graphic newspaper in 1886
Just look at the smoke in the background

386a9bc0.jpg

Great picture Cromwell......  the smokes certainly rising in that North.. North Eastern facing view towards Aston Saltley Nechells?

I remember in Dicken's "Hard Times" Josiah Bounderby of Coketown saying "You can see our smoke". "Thats meat and drink to us" ......................"Its the healthiest thing in the World in all respects and particularly for the lungs"
If they only knew .................

Rod is right you are looking to the left of Nechells looking down New street centre St martins is on the right you have the council buildings-library centre the old library on the left the church between the council house and the town hall is the old Christ church the church directly behind the council house-libary is St Phillips and centre front Chamberlins square and you can see the smoke from New street station far right I would say centre top is ASTON

My Gran was down in that smoke in 1886 age 3, l would never have thought of it as being healthy but she did live to be age 84 (2 months longer and she would have been age 85. ) so l guess it did not do too much harm to her. Even in the 1960's there was always the smell of the Gasworks around Great Lister Street.
There is a very good account of life around Great Lister Street around the early 1900's by the Reverend T.J. Bass Vicar of Saint Lawence Church in Dartmouth Street . A MUST read for any Local Historian or Family History Researcher. It is called " Hope In Shadow Land. I urge anyone interested in that time scale to read it.

Ger22van my Gran was 11 at the time and she lived till she was 86 :)

Photo took from about the same view as the one in the Graphic taken in 40' or 50''s
Photo has been shrunk but if a larger copy is required Rod I will send you one

sorry but the church is not St Silas but Christchurch in the catacombs John Baskerville was buried( 2nd time) until it was demolished at end of 1800s

Hey my Grand Dad useddto drive one of those old Tumbles have I spelt it right :-\

Fantastic picture all the same John :) In fact he won a safety award  from Birminngham Council and I have his Medal and Siver Chain dated 1924 O0

for somwe unknown reason I nearly all ways call it St Silas it's better to point it out I have no problem being corrected I am glad you liked the two photographs just think though they  moved Christ church just with pick and shovel and brute strength they certainly earned their pay then I will see if I can sort any more pics out for that area I think there are a couple of Anne street pics some where

Great photos John. I have never seen any for that site. Ken, have you ever seen any postcards of paintings by John Tarlington? Just curious since he painted Brum before
it was really cleaned up in the mid 1800's. Town sites in particular.

Whilst I was lookinf for Scounting info for the scouting query last week. I got on Jim Perkins
site for Aston Grammar School. I have visited this before a year or so ago since I knew several boys who attended Aston Grammar. The site is excellent and a good read. The school was and is an integral part of Aston and it's history. If you go to this link https://www.btinternet.com/~jimperkins/page82.html you can link to a database of
all the students who ever attended Aston Grammar. I had a quick look through and
saw some familiar names including Poppitt. I found a fellow who married my cousin in 1941 and was shot down and killed six weeks later also. The database is in Excel and Microsoft.

Yes Jennyann, the Poppitt is Brian. He was at the grammer school between 1946/ 51. I'll go and look at the site, I know Brian will want a peep. Thank you for the link. :smitten:

Back