• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Opening of addition to St Paul's church, Balsall Heath

opening_of_addition_to_st_Pauls_church_balsall_heath.jpg

Some interesting documents on display at the industrial exhibition at Bingley Hall, concerning transport from Birmingham pre-railways,

exhibits_at_industrial_exhibition_part.jpg

Today Elizabeth Garrett Anderson is famous for being the first female qualified doctor, for promoting the medical care of women, the first female dean of a British medical school, and the first female mayor & magistrate, amongst other things. Her initial success in qualifying is noted in this editorial, but it does not mention (indeed it would not yet have been known), that the authorities immediately changed the rules to prevent another female qualifying, and for 16 years she would remain a sole qualified female.

elizabeth_Garrett.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting to read how people from that time look back in awe at the slowness of some 80years before, and we do the same now. We see and are comfortable with, women doctors daily, my niece has just qualified and is working as a houseman in Nottingham General, very strange. Paul

Actually Elizabeth Garrett went to a school run by an aunt of Robert Browning who married Elizabeth Barrett becoming known as Elizabeth Barrett Browning. So Mike perhaps subconsciously you tied all these together.

first prosecution in Birmingham under the Factories Act, though for reasons that might be considered slightly "technical". in that the workers were not going excessive hours but hours at the wrong time (mind you that was 12 hours/day)

first_birmingham_prosecution_under_the_factories_act.jpg

I know that working during the correct hours was still in the young persons employment act in the 1950's. Paper boys and those who assisted with milk and bread deliveries could only work a limited number of hours and these hours had to be within a defined period. I assume that this is still the same now. Never took much notice myself.

Sounds like the West Bromwich board guardians were behaving like petulant children

West_Bromwich_Board_guardians_behaviour.jpg

And these are supposed to be responsible people in a position to set a good example. Nothing changes. Viv.

Oooops - sorry Margaret! I'm sure MOST of the time the Guardians behaved themselves and made a very valuable contribution. Viv.

As I never knew him (I only look old !!!) I cannot in all honesty say whether he was a nice man...I only know that he never appeared to offer any financial help to my branch of the family who lived in abject poverty...it was ever thus....
regards, Margaret.

Judging by the papers of the time a Mr Brough, with two others, seems to have been one of the "combatants" in the row described. He does not appear to have liked the governor of the workhouse, or the clerk to the guardians

its not quite clear how far down the women stripped, or where it happened, but it was obviously a shock to the system of the commentators.

women_stripped_to_fight.jpg

So the idea of a large firm buying up a better product so no-one else can sell it and compete with them is not a recent idea.

The law obviously worked slowly 150 years ago as well

buying_up_products.jpg
the_law_worked__slowly_then_as_well.jpg

Short farce at the end of the program for the evening at the Theatre Royal. Lov eto know the plot, but google only turns up this and another performance with no further details

sketch_at_theatre_royal.jpg

In post 2236 I noted a report of women fighting. On of our members sometimes feels interested enough on the entries in this thread to copy them to Facebook. I certainly do not object to that, indeed am glad that they find the items interesting, though an acknowledgment of the forum would be polite and a reference to the original source and date ( not usually given) very useful for those reading it.
For him and others interested the original source of this story seems to be a report of the "local correspondent" of the national Pall Mall gazette of the 10th October 1865, which was then repeated virtually verbatim in papers all over the country. It does not say very much more, but is given below with the repeated report of one of the other papers , the Bridport News

pall_mall_gazette_10_10_1865.jpg
Bridport_news_14_10_1865.jpg

Last edited:
In post 2236 I noted a report of women fighting. On of our members sometimes feels interested enough on the entries in this thread to copy them to Facebook. I certainly do not object to that, indeed am glad that they find the items interesting, though an acknowledgment of the forum would be polite and a reference to the original source and date ( not usually given) very useful for those reading it.
For him and others interested the original source of this story seems to be a report of the "local correspondent" of the national Pall Mall gazette of the 10th October 1865, which was then repeated virtually verbatim in papers all over the country. It does not say very much more, but is given below with the repeated report of one of the other papers , the Bridport News

pall_mall_gazette_10_10_1865.jpg
Bridport_news_14_10_1865.jpg

quite agree mike...like you say we do not mind sharing but please acknoweledge the birmingham history forum as its source...its also good advertising for those who may not know we are here and really it is just good old fashioned common courtesy to say thank you which costs nothing...

lyn

Woman killed by her paramour. After this initial report many column inches were produced on the sunject, obviouly of great interest, even in less scandalous papers such as the Birmingham Post.

women_killed_by_paramour_in_chapel_st.jpg

Mike, I posted your article on the face book Wednesbury site, sorry for not mentioning the source of the story.

will certainly do so on any others I post, and apologise for not doing so this time.

Nick

Thanks Nick. In fact I did not see your post, it was another person on another Facebook thread that I was referring to. I would emphasise that I am all for items of history to be posted wherever they may be of interest to others, but would also wish people to acknowledge the source.

Thanks Nick. In fact I did not see your post, it was another person on another Facebook thread that I was referring to. I would emphasise that I am all for items of history to be posted wherever they may be of interest to others, but would also wish people to acknowledge the source.
Thanks Mike, could I just ask you, do you mean Birmingham Post 150 years ago or the Birmingham history site.?

I meant the BHF site. No need to list the thread. Quoting the site might increase the number of visitors to it.

Gas explosion in Coventry Road.

Dyeing recommendations for the household user

gas_explosion_in_coventry_road.jpg
dyeing_recommendations.jpg

I do like this letter, which shows a true christian attitude of the curate, in instructing the poorer members of the church to take the best seats, and let the more affluent fend for themselves.

a_church_with_a_true_christian_attitude.jpg

The advert for Judson's Simple Dyes makes interesting reading. And how comprehensive. I can't imagine why a person should want to dye willow shavings and seaweed. Dyeing book edges - never heard of that being done before. And a new occupation to me "oilman". I suppose dyeing was fairly typical in many households. If you wanted something new, just dye it and you have a 'new' dress, hat, feathers etc. From personal experience however, it's a tricky process. Things often don't turn out the way you expect them to, the result can be very patchy especially when dyeing large items. Viv.

Last edited:
Viv
there was a separate section in the trades section of Kellys, in the 19th century for "Oils and colour men". I have always assumed the oil was possibly linseed, and possibly other similar, for paints etc

Back